[AI] problem with Walking

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Wed Jun 9 06:02:44 EDT 2010

Frankly speaking, I despair of the possibility of blind persons moving alone in today's urban milieu.
Though I don't deny the pressing need for it, I think one might avoid unless strictly necessary.
Risks are with everyone, blind or sighted but, please don't equate the two.
Lack of sight does limit us in myriad ways and mobility can be practiced for specific tasks, but general mobility is a far-cry for totally blind at least.
Even if achieved, it often results in sacrificing dignity at places where we would like to preserve it.
However, I would not advice anyone not to learn the tactics.
In fact, I myself am planning to undergo any such course.
I had heard Enable India conducts such short time courses.
Would like to hear if they are doing so now.
I have even travelled all alone in my college days, but unless it is strictly necessary, and if one can afford an escort, one should not do it, me thinks.

Regards

"If you believe that there is a God, a God that made your
body, and yet you think that you can do anything with
that body that's dirty, then the fault lies with the manufacturer."

                                             --Lenny Bruce

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,
Reserve Bank of India