[AI] Cheque book with thumb impression

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Tue Jun 1 08:05:44 EDT 2010

Well, such a checkbook as you mention cannot be issued until biometric verification or some such system comes into vogue in banking.
It was thought to happen in 2009 itself by some, however, still there are no signs of its widespread prevalence in India.
However, in the interim period, I can perceive no reason why the thumb impression should not be countersigned by Bank manager at the time of issuance of checkbook.
It would protect the bankers against any check fraud, entailing the safe keep of the checkbook upon the VI customer.
Anyway a customer has to keep the checkbook safely, so why VIs are shying away from it?
Even if it is lost, stop payment instructions can be given promptly to the bank.
If we are to have certain rights, we should be prepared to undertake the responsibilities as well.
If biometric system is after all adopted, then it would be  a different story altogether, as not only blind, but every one may be required to affix thumb impression!!!

Regards

                                        --Arthur C. Clarke

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,