[AI] RBI order on ATM card.

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Wed May 26 00:49:38 EDT 2010

Yes, Subramani,
I have already stated that in this country rules of regulators have practically symbolic value.
Though legally bound to follow them, banks hardly bother to do so except maintaining CRR etc.
In inspection after inspection, our inspecting officers provide horrible reports of neglect in vital areas.
Such rules pertaining to marginalized sections like VI are hardly looked into even by our inspecting officers.
I know I am being treacherous to my institution and nobody would admit such things  on record, but such is truth from a cynic's point of view.
You can observe it for yourself, by reading all speeches about financial inclusion.
Though RBI has issued circulars a couple of years back, hardly any high official mentions about disability while dwelling on financial inclusion.
They do not look at inclusion of disabled yet as mainstream financial inclusion.
It is perhaps, charity oriented yet.

Regards

                                        --Arthur C. Clarke

(Rajesh Asudani)