[AI] FW: regarding Handicapped coach

SC Vashishth subhashvashishth at gmail.com
Fri May 21 07:26:01 EDT 2010

See earlier this coach for the disabled was a unreserved general coach meant
specially for the disbaled to make their journey comfortable. That means the
disabled could travel in this coach with a general third class passenger
ticket which is almost one third of the Sleeper class ticket. This was
considered appropriate  as poverty and disability has close relation
especially in rural India. It was put at the end of coach near guard's cabin
considering that guard will be able to supervise alighting and boarding and
give signal accordingly and also take care of their needs.

However, gradually there were several petitions, complaints from the
usergroups complaining that the coach was used by miscreants and
non-disabled travellers in collusion with Railway officials - Police & TTEs
etc. So in order to curb this menace, some Babu in the Railways took a
blunderous decision to convert this boggie to a reserved sleeper class
compartment for the disabled.

The effect is that a disabled person with a general ticket can not travel in
this anymore and has to find place only in the general compartment which is
inaccessible. Secondly if a disabled person goes to reserve a sleeper class
ticket, he is handed over the resveration in this disabled boggie.

The crucial issue is that Railway has not been able to stop the misuse of
the dedicated half boggie for the disabled while persons with disabilities
are suffering most. The decision to convert this boggie to a reserved
sleeper boggie must therefore be withdrawn and appropriate provisons be made
to check its misuse.
regards