[AI] SSC Scribe experience

Kanchan Pamnani kanchanpamnani at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:00:06 EDT 2010

Rajesh

I havent been checking my mails recently so I dont seem to have read any
discussion on scribes recently. There are some points I d like to bring to
the attention of the readers from Maharashtra. I think you know these.
  I am quite shocked with your friend's experience.
The Maharashtra SSC board is governed by the Guidelines of the Bombay High
Court dated December 2006. these are the only comprehensive guidelines
anywhere in India. I had said while drafting these guidelines that they are
not the final words on the subject and would be improved upon in course of
time. Anyway nothing further has happened.
However good or bad these guidelines are, they are the only guidelines on
the subject. They are fairly clear and there are hardly any ambiguities and
there should not be arbitarieness.

Nagpur or any village examination and every Examining Authority in
Maharashtra is governed by these guidelines.
1. The Application form must mention the column for scribe.
2. The candidate must be allowed to arange a scribe. Only if the candidate
cant arrange one then the examining authority must arrange one.
3. We have enough experience with the kinds of scribe provided by Examining
Authority so i dont know why your friend did not write to the Board and get
his scribe approved.

The normal procedure is that once you are visually challenged you write to
the Board via your school and ask for the rules and tell the Examining
Authority much before the exam. You have to submit details about your
scribe.

It has been a common practise in Mumbai to submit the scribes bonafide
certificate, copy of i card etc.
Get the approval letter from the Examining Body and then carry that letter
everyday when you give the exams.

I dont think your friend followed the procedure. I have no idea about the
precedent.
yes I am aware that the Examining authority started by making the mistake on
the application form itself but your friend had to be most cautious.  I know
what a tough world it is for us. I live it every minute. The only words that
come to my mind is that I wasnt promised a rose garden but the thorns really
hurt and unfortunately they keep hurting all our lives. There is no respite
from the pain of being visually challenged and living in this world  You
have no idea about the effort that I make every morning to psych myself into
believing that the day will work out.
Most of the times it does work out . Therefore I do advise everyone on this
group to look hopefully at things and not cynically before things even
become a mess.
 Therefore glitches like the one you described do come up. However a little
or maybe lots of effort before the event would have saved him the heartbreak
later.

Recently Vishal Jain had to fight a battle about scribes.  Garima had to do
so in her own way. For Sameer we had to go to court. In another case that is
for Kritika although the issue was much larger we ensured that she had the
benefit of the guidelines. We did not wait for the government to make a
mistake we were proactive.

I always advise Pranay to cover this issue in November on eyeway so that
corespondence can be started early.This has helped many students.

  Try to challenge the exams in Court and in any event lodge your protest
with the authorities.

If you dont have the guidelines let me know I will email it to you. Cant
attach them to accessindia mails.
Kanchan