[AI] hunger strike in Chennai

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Mon May 10 02:21:00 EDT 2010

Hardly there was any coverage of the issue.
Such is bound to be the fate of agitations in democracy by those who don't have pressure enough.
However, there was some political support as well in the form of a daughter of certain CM, so still no news!
some assurance, at least?
However, I am afraid that even in AI, many do not have direct sensory perception of the issue concerned: namely the need for a general coach for Disabled and its subsequent  conversion into an ambiguous reserved-cum-general coach, greatly disadvantaging an ordinary disabled traveler, its unauthorized occupation as a rule by  nondisabled passengers, its location etc. etc.
I have little faith in human imagination unsupported by sensory data.
Compare the outcry generated by not allowing a blind traveler unescorted on an aircraft and subsequent action, with that generated by irrational changes in Disabled coach, or ouster of a blind traveler unescorted from a train,  for that matter.
I am not directing my observations at particular persons, or undermining the need for suitable actions, but highlighting impact of issues and their direct relation to our sensory data only.

forgive if it appears cynical.....

Regards

                                        --Arthur C. Clarke

(Rajesh Asudani)