[AI] Committee to draft new disability law.

Subramani L lsubramani at deccanherald.co.in
Fri May 7 06:59:34 EDT 2010

We need to ask ourselves one question: do we mean "best team" by virtue
of someone being a disabled person or do we want someone with lots of
experience and clear understanding of the issues at stake? Most of these
people are running their organisations/institutions with great deal of
responsibility. Folks like Pooman, who I met about 10 yers ago when she
was running Spastic Society of India in Chennai, has better
understanding of disability issues. Also, I like the diversity of
representation of organisations and institutes working for different
disabilities. The objective, I gather, is to change the law from a
charity model to the rights model as a way of harmonising Indian
disability law with the UN Convention. So why so much doubt. If the
process is wrong or if the team makes mistakes, let us indicate it to
them and try and see our side of things. We will be better placed in
making this team see our way than the minister who showed absolute lack
of leadership by dilly-dallying on the amendment Vs replacement issue.

Subramani