[AI] On going hunger strike in Tamil Nadu

pradeep banakar pradeepsocialwork at gmail.com
Thu May 6 13:37:18 EDT 2010

Specially-abled protest Railways' decision, observe hunger strike in Chennai

Thaindian News
 Chennai, May 5 (ANI): Specially-abled persons in Tamil Nadu staged a
demonstration on Wednesday to protest the decision of Indian Railways making
the disabled-friendly coaches open for general public.

Members of the Federation of Tamil Nadu Handicapped Association went on a
hunger strike to protest the move here, demanding that disabled-friendly
coaches should be made open for their exclusive use again.

"The Railway Department has converted the reservation coaches (reserved for
specially-abled persons) into unreserved coaches (open to general public),
which is very unfortunate. This move of the Railway Department is
condemnable and we need to see that the railway should retract this, and
till then we are not going to give up this fight and we will move forward,
and make the whole Railway Department stand still," said Govindakrishnan,
member of Federation Of Tamil Nadu Handicapped Association.

Protestors said they are facing problems after the coaches have been made
open to everyone.

They rued that they have been protesting for nine months but their
representations have not been heeded.

"The specially-disabled coaches with disabled people have suddenly been made
into a reservation compartment (where anyone can reserve seats) and we don't
want that to be a reservation compartment. We want that as an unreserved
compartment for the disabled people, and for this we have been fighting for
a very long time, say, for about nine months. We have made several
representations and everything has gone into vain. So, till that retraction
of the decision comes across we are not going to withdraw our hunger strike.
We are going to continue for that," said Deepak, a member of Federation Of
Tamil Nadu Handicapped Association. (ANI)