[AI] On going hunger strike in Tamil Nadu

Pamnani kanchanpamnani at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 08:15:54 EDT 2010

 I am copying below a series of sms received from Rajiv Rajan an activist from Tamil Nadu. I feel we should support his work in whatever way we can. Kanchan
04/05/2010
Hi,THE TAMIL NADU HANDICAPED CHARITABLE TRUST A MEMBER OF DISABILITY RIGHTS ALLIANCE TAMIL NADU IS LEADING AN INDEFINIT HUNGER STRIKE IN CHENNAI FROM TOMORROW. THE 1st & FOREMOST DEMAND BEING REVOKING OF THE ORDER BY THE INDIAN RAILWAYS MAKING THE DISABILITY COACH A RESERVED ONE . THE OTHER IMPORTANT DEMANDS BEING RESERVING THE 1st & 2nd SEAT/BERTH IN EVERY COACH FOR DISABLED PASSENGERS, MAKING ALL THE COACHES ACCESSIBLE. A LIST OF 7 DEMANDS IS BEING PUT FORWARD TO THE INDIAN RAILWAYS. MISS KANIMOZHI A MEMBER OF  RAJYA SABHA &DAUGHTER OF CHEIF MINISTER OF TAMIL NADU IS WORKING IN DELHI FOR THE SAME.PLEASE SUPPORT THE DRA TAMIL NADU TO ENSURE THAT THE RIGHTS OF DISABLED  PASSENGERSARE NOT DENYED BY ORGANISING SIMILAR HUNGER STRIKES IN YOUR STATE/UTs IN THE COMING DAYS & OR BY WRITING TO THE RAILWAY MINISTER URGING HER NOT TO DENY RIGHTS OF DISABLED PASSENGERS.

05-05-2010
WE THE DRA TAMIL NADU SEEK YOUR URGENT SUPPORT FOR HUNGER STRIKE . WE REQUEST YOU TO URGENTLY SEND TELEGRAMS TO THE PMO  & RAILWAY MINISTER IN SUPPORT OF THE DEMANDS. URGING THEM TO TAKE URGENT ACTION TO SOLVE THE ISSUE . THE 1st & FOREMOST DEMAND BEING REVOKING OF THE ORDER BY THE INDIAN RAILWAYS MAKING THE DISABILITY COACH A RESERVED ONE . THE OTHER IMPORTANT DEMANDS BEING RESERVING THE 1st & 2nd SEAT / BERTH IN EVERY COACH FOR DISABLED PASSENGERS , MAKING ALL THE COACHES ACCESSIBLE . A LIST OF 7 DEMANDS IS BEING PUT FORWARD TO THE INDIAN RAILWAYS. THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT .

05-05-2010

HI THIS IS TO REMIND YOU ABOUT THE HUNGER STRIKE LEAD BY TAMIL NADU HANDICAPED FEDERATION CHARITABLE TRUST A MEMBER OF DRA  TAMIL NADU IN PROTEST AGAINST THE ATTITUDE OF RAILWAYS TOWARDS DISABLED PEOPLE . DRA LOOKS FORWARD TO YOUR SUPPORT FOR THE CAUSE.

05-05-2010
I FEEL THE SITUATION HERE IS SENSITIVE ANY TIME STRIKERS MAY BE ARRESTED . IN SUCH A CASE WE SURELY HAVE TO COUNT ON YOUR SUPPORT. I WILL MESSAGE YOU .

06-05-2010

150 PEOPLE ON HUNGER STRIKE FOR 22 HOURS. DON'T THE RAILWAYS HAVE HUMANE FEELING? SUPPORT NEEDED IN WHATEVER WAY POSSIBLE TO WAKE UP MAMATHA FROM HER PRETENDED SLEEP. PLEASE SUPPORT

06-05-2010

GENERAL SECRETORY OF TAMIL NADU HANDICAPED FEDERATION CHARITABLE TRUST & A FEW OTHERS HAVE FAINTED DUE TO 26 HOURS OLD STILL ON  GOING HUNGER STRIKE BY DISABLED PEOPLE IN CHENNAI.

06-05-2010
PMK LEADER G.K MANI CAME TO THE PROTEST &PROMISED THAT AN ATTENTION SEEKING MOTION WOULD BE BROUGHT IN THE STATE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY TOMORROW. HE SPOKE TO THE SECRETORY TO CM WHO TOLD HIM THAT LETTER IS ON CM'S TABLE AWAITING FOR HIS SIGNATURE IT COULD BE SEND TO THE PRESS TONIGHT OR TOMORROW MORNING  BUT WE ARE STILL CONTINUING THE PROTEST AS NOTHING LESS THAN A LETTER OR PRESS RELEASE FROM THE CM OR THE RAILWAYS IS ACCEPTABLE TO US.