[AI] Disclosing disability in CV

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Mon Apr 26 01:06:24 EDT 2010

Hi Sameer
In my opinion, We should invariably disclose our disability, because reservation or not, it is a relevant factor.
If employers gloss over our explicit disclosure, we may point them to it, and take them to task for undue surprise.
I think we should disclose it in general information section along with a sentence or two conveying our abilities despite disability and maybe about alternatives we employ to do the same tasks in a bit different manner.

However, I am quite apprehensive about employment opportunities of totally blind or other 100% disabilities.
The incident which keeps gnawing at my heart mind and soul, if we possess one, is when I was explicitly denied the job of lecturer in Government law college by MPSC interview panel because there was no reservation, and they had the audacity to say to my face that I won't be able to correct the papers and notebooks of their students  due to my 100% visual inability. I tried to make them reasonable and convince them of other alternative means of doing such things, and also brought to their notice that there are hundreds of blind lecturers throughout India, but all without avail.
Now, legally speaking also, maharashtra government has not identified any post of lecturer except music for blind, and we are sitting helpless, doing nothing about it.
Of course, I am carried away by my personal experiences beyond scope of your original mail, Sameer, but I do call upon all and any totally blind persons in Maharashtra who are qualified and have appeared for interview of lectureship or have got it to share their experiences.

Regards

                                        --Arthur C. Clarke

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,