[AI] Disclosing disability in CV

Sameer salatey at gawab.com
Sun Apr 25 03:55:35 EDT 2010

Dear Friends,

We recently had a discussion on whether we should disclose our disability
during the ongoing national census. I wish to know the members' viewpoints
on disclosure of disability in job interviews in cases where there is no
reservation.

I seek the members' views on the following queries.

  1.. Whether we should disclose our disability in the CV sent to
prospective employers, job consultants or posted on various job portals?
  2.. In case we decide to disclose our disability in the CV, where should
it be disclosed? Assuming the CV has 4 sections - General Information,
Educational record, work experience & salary details, where should the
disability be disclosed & in what manner?
  3.. In case we are called for a job interview, should we check in advance
whether the company will be willing to consider us inspite of our
disability? This query is more relevant in case we have not disclosed our
disability in the CV since some blind friends who had not disclosed their
blindness were refused permission even to appear for the interview when they
reached the employer's office. Also, it has been observed that inspite of
disclosing disability, interviewers tend to skip over the information & they
are surprised when they realize the interviewee is blind.

Seeking the learned members views on the above queries.

Regards

Mr. Sameer Latey,
Mumbai, India