[AI] Sharing with you access indian friends.

muhammad deen fakhruteacher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 14:25:36 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Saravanan Ramadoss <saravanan.ramadoss1 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:12:10 +0530
Subject: [SayEverything] fw: WEIGHED DOWN BY A DIFFERENT KIND OF DOUBLE BURDEN
To: Volunteers for the Blind Found <vftblind at yahoo.com>,
voicevision at blindinfo.org, sayeverything at yahoogroups.co.in

Hello friends,

Please  share this  message to all your friends, because  this is the
other side   "darker" of  Tamilnadu's  Visually-challenged  women.

FOR CHENNAI CHRONICLE:

WEIGHED DOWN BY A DIFFERENT KIND OF DOUBLE BURDEN

some POINTS TO PONDER

on the status of

 VISUALLY CHALLENGED WOMEN

By

Latha Ramakrishnan

Writer-Translator

Treasurer, Welfare Foundation of the Blind

Recently we have celebrated the Centennial of Women's Day. It is
indeed a noteworthy day. And, no doubt Women's social status has
increased down the years. But, is it wholesome? The question persists.
For, woman is still treated as a secondary citizen and a consumer
object by the Mass-Media which can do a significant lot towards
changing the social outlook and attitudes regarding women and their
uplift. Day in and Day out we get these 'run on the mill' roles of
women - the ever vulnerable and gullible; the all-sacrificing and the
all loving. And, we get the other extremes too, the avenging women and
the arrogant modern women. When it comes to the Literary World we have
quite a number of men posing themselves to be the harbingers and
active supporters of women's emancipation but who consciously and
constantly dictate the dos and don'ts of women, never allowing them
space to think for themselves and act on their own.

This unenviable situation is all the more persistent in the case of
visually challenged women. The Media do not pay them attention except
only very rarely, when suddenly they feel the need to pose as socially
conscious and sensitive. The visually challenged men get jobs and even
sighted life-partners and are considered as the bread-winners of their
respective families and in their work-spots but the same is not the
case with visually challenged women. There are quite a number of
visually challenged women studying in colleges but there are just one
or two hostels for them even in the cities. If they stay in the usual
Hostels for women they have to struggle a lot facing hostility and
sarcasm from their room-mates or fellow women in the hostel. Even
those sighted women who are endowed with a friendly disposition and a
helping nature cannot be of much help to their visually challenged
counterparts, caught up as they are in the vicious cycle of the
competitive world.

When things remain so, leaving much to be desired, where lies the solution?

"It is not enough if we get opportunities for higher education. We
should get sufficient job opportunities and also the society should be
sensitized and made aware of the plights and potentials of the
visually challenged", says Ms.Geetha, an enterprising young woman in
her thirties who despite her visual impairment has a Diploma in Music
teaching and a Degree in Music from the University of Chennai. She is
yet to get a job. I was in a Tele-Marketing job for some time but the
owner was intent on cashing in on my visually challenged state of
being and hence I quit", says she and points out that there are many
visually challenged graduates and post-graduates in Music whose
services can be availed by government -run and private-run FM
channels. " I have a good voice and clear pronunciation. I can have
the scripts ready in Braille and read it out flawlessly. Of course,
initially I may falter and fumble on a few occasions. But, then this
happens even to normal persons newly appointed. Isn't it so?" asks
she.

She is not all that pessimistic about the uplift of the visually
challenged women down the years but she feels sad to note that in the
Legislative Assemblies of the State and Central Government there are
no visually challenged representatives.

"Even when we speak of the reservation within the 33% reservation for
women we only think of the caste-based and class-based marginalized
groups but do not give a thought about the differently-abled which is
indeed sad", Geetha points out. Women's Groups which strive for the
uplift of women have never cared to focus on the differently-abled
women, especially the visually challenged which hurts us, says Geetha
in an emotionally charged voice.

A bright girl Geetha has a flair for writing and she knows Tamil,
English and Hindi too. She is grateful to her family comprising her
father, mother, elder sister and her son for their unconditional
encouragement and support but all the same Geetha wants to stand on
her own legs, sharing the financial burden of her family and also be a
contributing citizen to the society. She has a flair for writing and
she wants to write articles and books highlighting the plights and
potentials of women in general and the visually challenged in
particular. "So, you are a full-time writer. I too want to be one
such", said she. Let some publisher or FM channel or even AIR come
forward to give this enterprising young girl a new lease of life.

Written by

Latha Ramakrishnan

D-3C, PARSN NAGAR

36, HOSPITAL ROAD

WEST SAIDAPET

CHENNAI - 600 015

PHONE 044 24747013 / 9003264121

Email: ramakrishnanlatha at yahoo.com
______
Please feel free to pass  your comments, feedbacks & new ideas to  the
below menntioned contact details.
Email:
saravanan.ramadoss1 at gmail.com
saravanan_2008 at hotmail.com
*******
The harder the conflicts, the more  glorious the triumph - Thomas Paine.
True friendship consists not inn multitude of friends, but in their
worth and value - Ben Jonson.
######
 Adieu.
Saravanan.R