[AI] disability field in sensus

harish harish at accessindia.org.in
Sun Apr 18 11:56:05 EDT 2010

Rahul:

Taking the spirit of what you conveyed. You don't want to be discriminated
putting it simply.

In the case of a person say those who are having orthopedic condition, the
photo on the ID card won't reveal disability

NO one wants to be discriminated and it is natural to oppose something which
seems to do just that.

Lets examine some cases which would help keeping annonymity of disability.
Maybe job interview, admission to colleges, loans and insurance etc.

In all these cases it help in the first stage. Eventually, you will have to
intract with them in person and if one is inclined to discriminate then he
possessess many ways to legally and rightfully discriminate against you.

Therefore if we look it realistically it does not help a bit except feeling
good to postpone the inevetible.

In the other hand presently we are following the rights based model wherein
services are offered not on the basis of sympathy and snubbing ones esteem.

We have just adopted to that framework and it shall take some time to
percolate.

There is more to gain not being shy about disability and aserting ones
right. This is the only way we can stop discrimination because we refuse to
get discriminated againstand each one takes it on oneself.

I believe the example of Godhra and Jews were illustrated to make a point
and you don't believe disability info could result in such a situation.

Harish.