[AI] Views invited on diversity initiative in law schools

moiz tundawala moiztundawala at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 06:45:12 EDT 2010

Hi All,
The WB National University of Juridical Sciences has initiated a
diversity in law schools project which is about making law schools
more diverse in terms of getting them accessible  to different groups
and sections of society which have generally been left out. So, one of
the goals is to encourage persons with disabilities to think in terms
of taking up law as a career, possibly appearing for the Common Law
Admission Test and joining one of the national law schools. The
university will assume organizational responsibility of CLAT next
year, and we are working on designing an examination process which
would be more general and relevant for a wider section of law
aspirants, not the elite alone. In this regard, I request your inputs
on the following questions:
How can we make the examination format more disabled friendly? The
idea is to let the disabled candidate select the mode of taking the
exam which would best suit him/her. CLAT generally follows a two hours
MCQ pattern. What additional time should the disabled be ideally
provided with? Should people taking exams on a computer be eligible
for a similar time relaxation? What has been the practice at your
college/university, and/or in institutions that you know of?
What can a university do to make its environment more accessible to
persons with disabilities? What facilities should a disabled student
be provided with? I have in mind ramps, information in accessible
formats, assistive devices and the like.
How can a university make sure that disabled students do not feel left
out? Can it do something specific to ensure that there is no sense of
marginalization and deprivation among the disabled? How should it go
about encouraging non-disabled students to cooperate with and respect
the disabled?
What can we do to encourage as many persons with disabilities as
possible to consider taking up law as a career option? What different
platforms can we use to advertise our existence? It needs to be
mentioned that tuition fees at a national law school are
extraordinarily high, but we believe that lack of resources should not
deter someone from pursuing a cherished goal. So, the idea is to try
providing candidates who clear CLAT and are below a certain income
level tuition wavers and other assistance. We are also looking for
persons and institutions who may be willing to help this project with
donations or otherwise. Who all can be approached, especially from the
disability sector?
Feel free to add anything else that you think may be relevant and
useful for the project.
Waiting for an early response.
Regards,
Moiz.