[AI] adobe reader with screen reader support

Sameer salatey at gawab.com
Sat Apr 10 21:11:12 EDT 2010

Dear Amar,

Some pdf documents are password-protected by their creators to enable only
viewing rights to users. JAWS is sometimes unable to read such protected pdf
files because the password-security settings interfere with JAWs' method of
reading the file. In such cases, JAWS will give a "Protection Failure"
message or a message saying "The security settings prohibit access by
screenreaders. Please contact the creator of the document for permission".
Sighted people have no problems in reading such files.

This problem can be overcome if the creator of the file allowed screenreader
access to the file when he was setting the security levels.

Also, the version of Acrobat matters. I came across some files that Acrobat
Reader version 7 would not read but were easily read with version 9 of
Acrobat Reader, the JAWS version used being version 11 in both cases.

Your Friend
Mr. Sameer Latey,
Mumbai, India