[AI] The blind comment on fairness of proposed google settlement

Sanjay ilovecold at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 06:40:19 EDT 2010

taken from the Braille monitor, April 2010

         The Blind Comment on Fairness of Proposed Google Settlement
                              by Daniel B. Frye
                                 **********
      Over fifty Federationists traveled from states along the East Coast
on Thursday, February 18, to support NFB President Marc Maurer as he spoke
in favor of the fairness of the proposed settlement between Google and
author representatives, who have reached resolution of a lawsuit that
requires court approval. The initial dispute stemmed from Google's efforts
to digitize the library collection at the University of Michigan and
elsewhere with the goal of creating the world's largest digital library and
bookstore. Blind consumers, heartened by the fact that the proposed
settlement contains far-reaching provisions guaranteeing blind people's
access to the digitized documents that Google processes, have rallied in
support of this agreement since last summer. The agreement promises
eventually to make at least ten million books available to our community, a
record volume of accessible material that will help to level the
information playing field between sighted and blind people. (See initial
coverage of this story in the August/September and November 2009 issues of
the Braille Monitor.)
      In fairness to the almost twenty individuals and organizations
invited to register their objections to the settlement during this hearing,
none opposed the tentative agreement based on its accessibility provisions.
Instead their objections involved concerns about deprivation of
intellectual property and copyright entitlements, based on the default, opt-
out structure of the proposed settlement. Issues of privacy; federally
prohibited monopolies; judicial authority to interpret and change copyright
law substantially; and compliance with class-action processes, including
concerns about adequate notice and international language accessibility of
the proposed agreement dominated the detractors' list of grievances.
Conversely, supporters of the agreement focused on the value of returning
millions of hard-to-get books to the reach of the general public; the
sociological advantages that the copyright law originally envisioned; and
the argument, advanced by some, that adoption of the settlement would
result in competitive benefits.
      Judge Chin declined during the hearing to rule on the fairness
question, a preliminary finding that must be made before the settlement can
go forward, citing the amount of material and the complexity of the issues.
No deadline has been announced for completion of his deliberation. He noted
that the case attracted so much interest that an overflow courtroom had
been assigned to accommodate the public. Judge Chin specifically observed
the conspicuous presence of members of the National Federation of the
Blind. Our presence and President Maurer's remarks were also referred to in
many press accounts of the hearing. The following February 18, 2010, New
York Times article is representative of the coverage of the hearing and our
involvement. Here it is:
                                 **********
               Judge Hears Arguments on Google Book Settlement
                               by Motoko Rich
                                 **********
      The federal judge overseeing the proposed settlement of a class-action
lawsuit filed against Google by groups representing authors and publishers
heard from a handful of supporters and a parade of objectors to the deal at
a hearing Thursday in Manhattan. At the beginning of more than four hours
of testimony in a packed courtroom, Judge Denny Chin of the Federal
District Court for the Southern District of New York said he would not rule
immediately on the settlement because there was "just too much to digest."
      Among the supporters of the deal, which would allow Google to create
an extensive digital library and bookstore, were the president of the
National Federation of the Blind, the librarian of the University of
Michigan, and a lawyer for Sony Electronics, all of whom said that the
agreement would make millions of hard-to-find books available to a vast
audience. Opponents-who cited various concerns relating to competition,
privacy, abuse of the class-action process, and the violation of copyright-
included lawyers for rivals Amazon.com and Microsoft, representatives of
various authors and estates, literary agents, and speakers representing
Pennsylvania and Germany.
      William F. Cavanaugh, a deputy assistant attorney general with the
Justice Department, reiterated points the department made in a filing this
month that raised legal objections to the agreement. Mr. Cavanaugh said the
Justice Department was continuing its antitrust investigation into the
settlement. While saying that the department "applauds the benefits of mass
digitization," Mr. Cavanaugh said that "our concern is that this is not the
appropriate vehicle to achieve these objectives."
      The settlement, originally announced in October 2008, arose out of a
copyright infringement suit brought by the Authors Guild and the
Association of American Publishers against Google, which had been scanning
millions of books from libraries. The complex agreement outlined a plan
that would allow Google to make the scanned books available online for
searching, as well as create new ways for authors and publishers to earn
money from digital editions of works that had long been off the market in
print form.
      Speaking in support of the settlement, Lateef Mtima, director of the
Institute of Intellectual Property and Social Justice at Howard University,
said the settlement would aid in the "development of a thriving, vibrant
culture." But because the settlement would allow Google to scan and profit
from copyright-protected books without the explicit permission of
individual authors, the deal generated a litany of complaints. Critics also
pointed out that Google would have the right to scan and sell so-called
orphan works, those whose authors could not be found or whose rights owners
could not be identified.
      "You can't settle a claim for copyright infringement by authorizing
the miscreant to continue to infringe copyright," said Hadrian Katz, a
lawyer for the Internet Archive, a nonprofit group that is scanning books
for its own digitization project. Mr. Katz, along with the Justice
Department and several other objectors, suggested that Google and its
partners amend the settlement to require that authors choose to
participate. Daralyn J. Durie, a lawyer for Google, said the deal was fair
because it compensated authors and publishers for any works sold through
Google. She said it would be prohibitively expensive to track down millions
of authors and negotiate individual deals to display or sell their works
digitally. Michael J. Boni, a lawyer for the Authors Guild, said that a
rights registry that would be set up as part of the settlement would make
every effort to find authors of orphan works.
                                 **********
      There you have the report of the New York Times on the day's events.
Here are the remarks that President Maurer delivered:
                                 **********
      I am Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation of the Blind.
The organization, which came into being seventy years ago, is composed of
more than fifty thousand members from throughout the United States. Our
goal is to create a climate in which the blind may be integrated within
society on the basis of equality with the sighted.
      The National Federation of the Blind strongly supports the proposed
settlement in this case. We have heard arguments suggesting that problems
exist with the proposal. However, we also understand that, within a
specified time after the proposal becomes final, the books covered by it
are to be available to the blind in a usable format. Estimates of the
number of these books vary, but we are led to believe that ten million is
not unreasonable to expect.
      Blind people spend enormous amounts of time and energy hunting for
ways to get at books. A few commercial establishments exist that provide
recorded information that the blind and sighted can buy-mostly recent best
sellers, often abridged. Three substantial specialized libraries for the
blind have been created in the United States: the Library of Congress
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, which
began producing books in Braille and in audio formats in the early 1930s;
Bookshare, which has recently begun to collect electronic files of books
created for blind college students; and Recording for the Blind and
Dyslexic, which began recording college texts in the 1940s. The total
number of unduplicated titles available from these libraries is under one
million. No other substantial sources of reading matter exist for the blind
in the United States. Audible tells us it has sixty thousand, but Google
offers ten million. The excitement of the potential to gain access to this
much information is almost palpable.
      Digital books are quickly becoming the norm. This should be good news
for the blind. Digital information can easily be presented in auditory,
large-print, or refreshable Braille formats. However, despite the
simplicity of building accessibility provisions into digital management
products, many of the manufacturers of the technology have refused to
consider doing so. On the other hand Google will give us access to ten
million books. In the process of doing this, Google will help to make the
point that access to information for all is achievable and desirable.
      A number of universities have established programs to offer students
and professors digital books, which are often cheaper than those produced
in print. Similar proposals have been made about elementary and secondary
schools.
      The Apple iPhone, the Apple iPad, and the Apple iTunes U application
have auditory systems built into them that the blind can use, but some
publishers have declared that the books loaded on such devices will not be
allowed to be hearable. The blind have access to the machines but not the
content.
      We believe that access to the storehouse of ideas, books, is essential
for participation in a free society. The ability to think, to write, to
invent, and to create opportunity expands in the presence of the writings
of others. If our talents are to be used, we must be able to read. Thank
you, Your Honor.
                                 **********
      President Maurer convincingly made our direct argument for access to
information. We now print the supporting testimony of Lateef Mtima,
director of the Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice and
professor of law at Howard University, School of Law. Professor Mtima's
remarks parallel our views on the social value of access to information.
His statement reflects an allied spirit with the NFB and resonates with the
passion of a great advocate of civil rights. The brackets in Professor
Mtima's testimony are his. Here is the full text of his remarks; Professor
Mtima cautioned that time constraints prohibited him from delivering these
comments verbatim to the court:
                                 **********
      My name is Lateef Mtima, and I am the founder and director of the
Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice and also professor
of law at the Howard University, School of Law. I would like to thank the
court for this opportunity to address the issues before the court and
hopefully assist in placing proper emphasis upon the copyright social
utility obligations that are at stake in this dispute.
      "Today, education is perhaps the most important function of state and
local governments. Compulsory school attendance laws and the great
expenditures for education both demonstrate our recognition of the
importance of education to our democratic society. It is required in the
performance of our most basic public responsibilities...and is the very
foundation of good citizenship. Today it is a principal instrument in
awakening the child to cultural values, in preparing [her] for later
professional training, and in helping [her] to adjust normally to [her]
environment. In these days it is doubtful that any child may reasonably be
expected to succeed in life if [she] is denied the opportunity of an
education. Such an opportunity, [when made available] must be made
available to all on equal terms."
      The significance of these concerns to the issues currently before the
court is of course clear, since universal access to books will help to
level the playing field of access to information, knowledge, and education.
But what may come as a surprise is that these statements were neither made
in connection with mass digitization of text, nor were they made by an
educator, an academic, or even a social scientist. These words were written
by Chief Justice Earl Warren in the landmark opinion of Brown v Board of
Education in 1954. The fact that these words resonate with the present
issue reminds us of the primary purpose of the copyright law.
      The first American copyright law, enacted by the first Congress as
the 1790 Copyright Act, was entitled "An Act for the Encouragement of
Learning." To the extent that significant segments of the population lack
equal access to copyrighted works, however, they are unable to learn from
and build upon these works and, in turn, make their own contributions to
American culture.
      The development of digital information technology offers great
promise for the social utility goals of the copyright law as well as the
aspirations enunciated in Brown, but while technology has dramatically
increased the availability of literature, art, music, and information for
some Americans, the poor, the elderly, the physically challenged, and many
racial and ethnic minorities, stranded on the wrong side of a growing
digital divide, have instead witnessed a return to the separate and
decidedly unequal society of the pre-Brown era.
      Whereas virtually all commentators agree that mass digitization of
books is a necessary step toward satisfaction of the mandates of copyright
social utility, objections have been raised to the Google initiative. Two
important objections are (1) that it undermines the author permission
function of the copyright law, and (2) that the benefits it seeks to
achieve are best left to government.
      The first objection distorts the constitutional balance between
author incentives and the public interest. While American copyright is in
some ways an author-centered, permission-based system, author property
interests are neither inviolable nor even paramount. Unlike European
systems, American copyright is not based upon natural rights but rather is
positive social law. American copyright favors neither the author nor the
individual user of aesthetic works, but rather holds paramount the
interests of society in developing a thriving, vibrant culture. As the
United States Supreme Court observed in Sony Corp. of America v. Universal
City Studios Inc.:
      "The monopoly privileges that Congress may authorize are neither
unlimited nor primarily designed to provide a special private benefit.
Rather, the limited grant is a means by which an important public purpose
may be achieved.... private motivation must ultimately serve the cause of
promoting broad public availability of literature, music, and the other
arts.... `The sole interest of the United States and the primary object in
conferring the monopoly,'...`lie in the general benefits derived by the
public from the labors of authors.'"
      The eminent copyright scholar, the late L. Ray Patterson, cautioned
that our copyright law is regulatory in nature [protecting the public
interest with rules to accommodate the interests of authors, entrepreneurs,
and users in a complementary way] and not proprietary, as a proprietary
model can all too quickly become a device to inhibit learning rather than
to promote it.
      Now that mechanisms have been included in the Google initiative that
address author proprietary interests, the copyright balance requires that
the emphasis be shifted toward the public benefit generally and, in
particular, the needs of that segment of the public that has been largely
overlooked, including that of marginalized authors, as well as underserved
users of copyrighted works.
      This brings us to the second objection: that the balance should be
achieved by Congress. First, this argument overlooks that the courts can
and have addressed this kind of "new technological use problem" in the
past, in cases such as Whitehall Music, the cable cases in Fortnightly and
Teleprompter, Sony, and, in the digital information context, Kelly v.
Arriba, etc.
      Second, there is precedent for private initiatives, such as the
royalty collection societies created with the advent of sound recordings,
which have flourished for one hundred years, strengthened by judicial and
legislative involvement.
      Finally, it is the fact that many governmental and even scholarly
institutions have been slow to recognize the digital divide as a problem of
copyright social utility that brings us to where we are. Now that a
meaningful mechanism for bridging the digital divide has been presented
from the private sector, it would be unfair to stop the clock after the
digitally disenfranchised have been overlooked for almost a quarter of a
century.
      We recognize that the proposed settlement will not cure all the
deficiencies of the digital divide. But to those who say that this will
provide only trivial improvement, we suggest that they may be unfamiliar
with what the disenfranchised and marginalized can do with only a little.
Give a slave pig intestines and she will make chitterlings; secretly
provide Frederick Douglass a few books, and he will provide our nation with
insight into its character; literally toss George Washington Carver
peanuts, and he will produce scientific and industrial marvels from which
we can benefit for generations.
      I'd like to close with this final thought. Be it the heartland of the
Midwest, the rural South, or the urban inner city, equal access to
libraries makes the difference; and, having traveled that path from 1960's
Harlem to some of our nation's elite institutions of higher learning, I
have witnessed that difference firsthand.
      In drafting the Copyright Clause, our constitution's framers penned a
broad directive of social utility, one amenable, not only to legislative
and judicial interpretation and application, but also to private initiative
and adaptation to the changing realities of our evolving national culture.
Copyright is intended to be an engine of cultural development, not a brake
on it. We have an opportunity to take an important step on behalf of
copyright in the digital information age, and it is one that can't afford
to be missed.
      Once again, we'd like to thank the court for this opportunity to
appear before it.
      Time will tell whether Judge Chin allows this version of the Google
settlement to go forward, but when it is ultimately approved in some
version, blind Americans will have unprecedented access to the written
word. We will be able to say that the National Federation of the Blind
played an active role in bringing this reality to fruition. The Braille
Monitor will keep readers apprised of the status of this ongoing legal
saga.