[AI] Employment of PwDs: Please forward your comments

Prashant Verma PR_VERMA at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 13:54:57 EDT 2010

Dear All,

Please see the email copied below. You may send your comments before 4th April to the sender of that email.

Also I request you and others to sign up as members of Work and Employment Community of Solution Exchange- website is: www.solutionexchange-un.net.in .

Prashant

From: Maureen Gilbert [mailto:se-emp at solutionexchange-un.net.in]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:00 PM
To: 'Work and Employment Community'
Subject: [se-emp] QUERY: Access to Decent Work for Young People withDisabilities - Experiences. Reply by 4 April 2010

Moderator's Note: Dear Members, as promised we are opening the second topic on disabilities this month. This discussion on Young People with Disabilities moderated by Maureen Gilbert is hosted by the ILO's Asia Pacific Youth Net (APYN). We are having a crosspost with them. The contributions from us will be shared with the APYN members and we will get to read their members' responses. All the inputs will be used to give voice to the youth perspectives in policy debates at India and Pan Asia Pacific level. So don't miss out on this opportunity to participate in this initiative of knowledge sharing from the local to regional. Please send in your contributions by 4 April 2010.

[se-emp] QUERY: Access to Decent Work for Young People with Disabilities - Experiences. Reply by 4 April 2010.

The UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (UNCRPD), came into force in 2008, (UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: www.un.org/disabilities , Plain English version: http://tinyurl.com/360fsl). Article 27 recognises 'the right of persons with disabilities to work, on an equal basis with others'. However, despite the fact that twelve countries in the region (including India) have ratified the UNCRPD, young people with disabilities still struggle to access decent work across the Asia Pacific region. Access to quality education, vocational training and employment are denied to millions of young people with disabilities worldwide, including India.

We would like members to respond the following questions:

·         What are the barriers and challenges that young people with different kinds of disabilities face when trying to access decent work?

·         What changes to Policy and Practice are required so that young people with disabilities can access decent work? (These suggestions may include key priorities, action areas, etc.)?

·         What are the strategies and actions required to get the attention of policy makers and decision-makers to address the issue of decent for young people?

While responding to each of these questions we request members to share their experiences of strategies, solutions and good practice of organizations and governments in India,  that have had success in addressing these issues.

The experiences and ideas contributed from India to this Discussion Forum will be used in efforts to develop coherent strategies, solutions and good practice for policy-makers and other decision-makers in the Asia Pacific region, and beyond.

Thanks,

Maureen Gilbert

Ireland