[AI] mobile phone stolen.

SC Vashishth subhashvashishth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 02:31:26 EDT 2008

Dear all,
In this age of technology, the stolen mobiles can be easily traced as with
every call made from a mobile, the unique IMEI No. also get transmitted
besides your mobile no. (provided by the service providers).

What is lacking is the will on the part of investigating agencies to tackle
this menace. Police always want to show their crime graphs low and that is
why they do not register FIRs. People on their part get discouraged and do
not lodge FIR for loss of mobile phones and usually they just get the sim
blocked. And the vicious circle continues! Unless there are a large number
of FIRs, Police will not take any concerted steps to resolve this menace.

Delhi Police has wherewithal and can very well tackle this menace. They
already have Anti Robbery Cell, Anti-Kidnapping Cell, Anti-Homicide Cell,
Anti-Auto Theft Squad, Inter-State Cell, Special Investigation Team, Bomb
Disposal Squad, Dog Squad, Missing Person Squad etc.
**
They also have an on line STOLEN VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION SERVICE on their
website under the Icon "Stolen/Unclaimed Vehicle". The users can check the
status of stolen/unclaimed vehicle of different parameters viz. "Regn. No.
or Engine No. or Chassis Number by using websites

I suggest that this list should send a strong recommendation to the Delhi
Police Chief to start such a service to locate stolen mobiles on the lines
of "Stolen Vehicles". It may be named as "Stolen Mobile Phone Tracing
Service". I am sure the Cellular Service Providers would give all assistance
to Police in such a drive.

We can write such a mail to Mr. YS Dadwal, The Commissioner, Delhi Police on
email: ys.dadwal at nic.in or fax on Number 011- 24638859 & 23722052.

warm regards
SC Vashishth,
Advocate-Delhi High Court
09811125521

On 6/25/08, Subramani L <lsubramani at deccanherald.co.in> wrote:

> A pathetic story indeed. Here in Bangalore too, when a friend of mine
> (who is not a journalist) lost his mobile phone, he needed a
> journalist's recommendation to register the FIR! So your assessment
> seems right. Technology is unlikely to change the lackadaisical attitude
> of our system.
>
> Subramani

Warm regards,

Subhash Chandra Vashishth