[AI] Help needed regarding the technical writingand otheraccessible careers for VIs.

Geetha Shamanna geetha at millernorbert.de
Sat Jun 21 11:13:06 EDT 2008

Hi Govind,

I had unsubscribed from the list for a while and did not see your previous
message. I am sending my response to the list, as others who intend to take
up technical writing as a career can also benefit from it.

Among the tools you mention, I worked extensively with RoboHelp and Adobe
FrameMaker. While RoboHelp was nearly completely accessible, FrameMaker was
almost totally inaccessible. Both RoboHelp and FrameMaker have come a long
way in the six years since I stopped working as a technical writer, and
things could have improved in the newer versions.

I suggest that you enroll in this course and get as much out of it as
possible. The certificate will help you find a job, and once you have the
job, you can negotiate with the employer to allow you to do what you can do
best, which is write.

Meanwhile, in addition to the course, ensure that you hone your technical
writing skills as much as possible. Read technical magazines and manuals and
try to write step-by-step instructions for performing various tasks on the
computer. Since your profficiency in using the tools will be below par when
compared to your sighted counterparts due to their inaccessibility, your
best bet would be to impress your prospective employer with your writing
skills. So try to concentrate your energy on that.

Hope this helps.

Geetha