[AI] Yahoo! launches local beta site

renuka warriar erenuka at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 08:03:21 EDT 2008

The Hindu News Update Service
default/empty
News Update Service
Tuesday, June 10, 2008 : 1715 Hrs

Yahoo! launches local beta site

New Delhi (PTI): Internet firm Yahoo! on Tuesday launched a new India-focused website to provide information such as business listings, maps and directions,
events and movies, starting with cities Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai and Bangalore.

The company plans to provide information about the other parts of the country as well.

"Depending on the success of the site we will introduce it in tier-II cities as well," Yahoo! India Head of Audience Gopal Krishna told reporters here.

On website Yahoo! India Local, users can get listings on a range of categories such as restaurants, pubs, shopping malls, hospitals, schools, banks, health
and fitness centres and 24-hour pharmacies.

The local businesses across categories can get listed for free on the website.

The revenue model for the site is yet to be decided, Krishna said.

"Yahoo! India exemplifies our strategy to be leading starting point on the web by providing the most relevant and compelling experience for local needs,"
Krishna said.

By integrating web and mobile, the site allows users to download or share information via SMS or e-mail, he added.

Earlier, Yahoo! had launched a new search marketing platform for advertisers. It also launched country-centric search engine Yahoo! India Glue Pages Beta.