[AI] AccessIndia Digest, Vol 26, Issue 25

Subramani L lsubramani at deccanherald.co.in
Sun Jun 8 04:06:45 EDT 2008

As for Karnataka the Sarva Siksha Abiyan (SSA) which guarantees
universal basic education, has created access facilities in many of the
government schools and has made sure that children in nearby villages
make use of those schools. Also, teacher training institutes have been
made to train mainstream teachers to handle physically challenged
children, though their percentage in a mainstream classroom is likely to
be miniscule. This apart, SSA has also trained welfare workers to teach
children who are severely handicapped at their doorsteps. These measures
have made access to education easier for children with disability in
some areas of the state and some schools have declared themselves fully
accessible. Of course, I have not gone personally to these schools, but
the department has been extending invitations to me to visit them. This
is a clear sign that they have made notable progress and are eager to
publicise it. Why not? When we blame the government for mismanagement,
we should laud them when they do take initiatives like this. In fact,
Karnataka is the only state which has a stage government policy on
inclusive education.

Subramani