[AI] banking facilities to the visually challenged

firoz firojjee at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 09:13:32 EDT 2008


WEL done ,
kanchan and co.
hope to meet you this week end at ahmedabad

firoz
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rajesh Asudani" <rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in>
To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] banking facilities to the visually challenged


> Sure, Kanchan, it is a work well done and you deserve full credit for it.
>
> Let me publicly attribute this initiation towards solving banking problems 
> of the VI to Kanchan and all of us who are directly or indirectly 
> supportive of the cause.
>
> Please do not take any of my criticisms personally, I am in the habit of 
> dwelling on all sides of the matter, maybe a bit more on negative ones.
>
> Let us work for guidelines which would give the circular material form.
>
> Rajesh
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in 
> [mailto:accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Pamnani
> Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:36 PM
> To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in
> Subject: Re: [AI] banking facilities to the visually challenged
>
> Rajesh and others,
>
> Just like to clarify the whole matter. I met Mrs. Usha Thorat, Deputy
> Governor and  Kaza Sudhakra, Cheif General Manager on Monday 2nd June and
> discussed the entire matter with them in detail. It took nearly 2 
> hours.Mrs.
> Thorat read out the draft circular and I suggested some modifications. We
> also discussed the problem with currency notes and coins. The RBI
> understands our problems and is working towards resolving them one at a
> time. This circular is just the first step. Any visually challenged person
> can show this circular to a troublesome bank manager and demand his 
> rights.
> I too know that unless the procedure is spelt out the banks will still 
> give
> us trouble. I am drafting the details on the issues that I had raised in 
> my
> mail last week. I am meeting Mr. Sinor ,Chairman of Indian Banks
> Association, on Monday 9th June and shall revert to this group after the
> meeting. If I get a chance i will circulate the memorandum tomorrow or on
> Monday for your comments.
> Thanks to all who have suffered at the hands of the banks and those who 
> have
> given me their inputs.
>
> Kanchan Pamnani
> Advocate & Solicitor
> 9, Suleman Chambers,
> Battery Street, Colaba,
> Mumbai - 400 039.
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rajesh Asudani" <rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in>
> To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:04 PM
> Subject: [AI] banking facilities to the visually challenged
>
>
>> Surely, the development is positive and we must congratulate ourselves 
>> for
>> it.
>>
>> However, I do not see any reason for jubilance for a multiplicity of
>> reasons:
>>
>> firstly, it has taken long long time to come, 45 days mentioned in CCPD
>> judgment have long since been over!
>>
>> Secondly, it is merely a brief circular stating perfunctorily what is
>> contained in several petitions without delving into the spirit of matter.
>>
>> Thirdly, seeing the scant respect for laws and bye laws in our country, I
>> can only hope to cite it as a source of my demands being supported on
>> paper by the regulator! and derive moral comfort from it!!!
>>
>> Fourthly and importantly, it merely contains the general statement of
>> providing all the banking facility and eschews any detailed guidelines 
>> for
>> various facilities, refering to IBA guidelines in pursuance of CCPD
>> judgment which are, to say the least, archaic in nature.
>>
>> Fifthly, it has the potential to create contradictions between what it
>> purpotedly gives and mode of realization for which it refers to earlier
>> guidelines, adding to already prevalent confusion. For instance, it says
>> that banks have to provide cheque books including third party cheques,
>> which is explicitly [or at least interpretatively] denied in ccpd
>> judgment.
>>
>> The true remedy lies inenumerating detailed guidelines for availing
>> facilities, and we must keep on pressing for it. RBI/IBA has to issue
>> fresh guidelines in light of present circular. The battle is far from 
>> won.
>>
>> Yes, the circular must be praised for recognizing legal equality of
>> visually impaired persons, but, alas, there is many a slip between the 
>> cup
>> and the lip!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> The era of individual banks following their sweet will in 
>> denying/allowing
>> their facilities to VI, has to be ended, and the present circular is a
>> small step towards it, which has to be followed to its logical 
>> conclusion.
>> I remember chairman of LIC having proclaimed a few days ago, that the
>> primier insurance agency does not at all discriminate in giving insurance
>> to disabled including blind!!!!!!!! May This circular  not proove to be
>> one more such tentalising illusion!
>>
>> We must work to have it implemented and letter and spirit for which
>> universal and fresh guidelines are the need of the hour!!!
>>
>> Forgive my cautious optimism which is often dubbed as morbid 
>> pessimism!!!!
>>
>> Rajesh
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________
>> Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
>> message and/or attachments to it may contain
>> confidential or privileged information. If you are
>> not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use,
>> review, distribution, printing or copying of the
>> information contained in this e-mail message
>> and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If
>> you have received this communication in error,
>> please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and
>> immediately and permanently delete the message
>> and any attachments. Thank you
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please visit the list home page at
>> 
>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>>
>
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in 
> with the subject unsubscribe.
>
> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes, 
> please visit the list home page at
>  http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>
> Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
> message and/or attachments to it may contain
> confidential or privileged information. If you are
> not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use,
> review, distribution, printing or copying of the
> information contained in this e-mail message
> and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this communication in error,
> please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and
> immediately and permanently delete the message
> and any attachments. Thank you
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in 
> with the subject unsubscribe.
>
> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes, 
> please visit the list home page at
>  http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in 





More information about the AccessIndia mailing list