[AI] Banks asked to extend all facilities to visually challengedpeople

Shiv Pathak sshivapathak at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jun 5 05:56:39 EDT 2008

--- On Thu, 5/6/08, nafisa buhariwala <nafisapb at hotmail.com> wrote:
From: nafisa buhariwala <nafisapb at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [AI] Banks asked to extend all facilities to visually challengedpeople
To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in
Date: Thursday, 5 June, 2008, 12:34 PM

The source is RBI's AP DIR circular which I have reproduced in my mail with
the subject line Bingo!...
Nafisa > Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:48:23 +0530> From:
lsubramani at deccanherald.co.in> To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
Subject: Re: [AI] Banks asked to extend all facilities to visually
challengedpeople> > What is the source of this news?> > Subramani
accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in>
[mailto:accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of pradeep>
banakar> Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 11:25 AM> To:
accessindia at accessindia.org.in> Subject: [AI] Banks asked to extend all
facilities to visually> challengedpeople> > Mumbai, June 4 (IANS) The
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has ordered all> banks to extend full banking
facilities to the visually challenged> people without any discrimination. In
an advisory note issued here> Wednesday, the RBI said its attention has been
drawn to the fact that> the visually challenged people encounter problems in
availing banking> facilities.> > The RBI said such people are entitled
to all facilities, including> cheque books, operation of ATMs, lockers and
the like as they were> legally competent to contract.> > It has
ordered that banks must ensure that all these facilities as> well as net
banking, retail loans, credit cards and other services are> also offered to
the visually challenged people. Banks have been told> to advise all their
branches to render all possible assistance to them> to avail banking
facilities.> > In this regard, the RBI has referred to a 2005 order of
the Court of> the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities which had
been> forwarded by the Indian Banks' Association to all member banks
in> October that year.> > The court observed that the "visually
impaired persons cannot be> denied the facility of cheque book, locker and
ATM on the possibility> of risk in operating or using the said facility, as
the element of> risk is involved in case of other customers as
well."> > To unsubscribe send a message to
accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in> with the subject unsubscribe.>
> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,>
please visit the list home page at> >
http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.i>
n> > To unsubscribe send a message to
accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in with the subject unsubscribe.> >