[AI] Thoughts about braille

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 20:22:13 EDT 2008

High,

In the first place, braille is not in conflict with any new technology.
Secondly, letter writing is not really dead even with the use of e-mail and
mobile phones.  You still need to express yourself coherently which I
believe letter writing was all about.

I don't use braille at all but, there have been times when I wish I had
access to it. for instance, I had to prove freed a document.  At that point
of time, my office was extremely noisy.  I cannot use headphones for
extended periods of time and cranking up the volume to a comfortable level
is doable but I had to keep altering the volume based on the noise level in
the office.

The other place where braille is extremely useful is for writing down items
such as credit card numbers.  I would rather read such items silently.

Finally, rail is the only way to label tactile diagrams.  Yes, you do have
devices such as the Iveo but they are not in common use.
Pranav