[AI] your thoughts on braille

pamnani kanchanpamnani at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:56:48 EDT 2008

Subramani

I am answering your queries based on my experience and not on other factors
like availabeility of computers in rural areas etc.
I agree with Amit and Payal. I really regret not knowing braille.
 I would have not read my novels in braille but for my work I could have
used it extensively.
 It would have been very useful for me in court just like it was useful for
Amit while broadcasting.
When you read the law you have to read every commar and full stop properly
braille would have been useful. I do the same thing with JAWS but you got to
be very careful and read it a couple of times or word by word.
Also braille is used in museums both in India and abroad so had I known
braille I would have enjoyed the experience better.
Jet airways has a braille manual and so do a lot of companies had I known
braille I would have read the instructions without someone having to read
them to me.
Labelling in braille would have made my life easier.
When I speak at various meetings I always tell the audience that they should
not forget braille while learning computers.Very few from the audience
actually follow my advice just like I didnt listen to my advisors. I too
thought they were foolish and that life had gone ahead and computers would
solve all my problems. Alas I learnt the hard way and so will my young
friends who dont know braille.

To be useful braille has to be taught properly. Unfortunately not many
Special  trainers can read braille So how can you expect them to teach the
kids. So from the beginning of their school lives kids hate braille and are
looking for an opportunity to start computers and forget braille.  properly.
Now braille is taught as a special subject in special schools and is treated
like a seperate language. All subjects are and should be taught in braille
at the junior and middle school level.

The trainers who are teaching computers are doing their job and making
visually challenged people employable but it is for the visually challenged
person to think about how he or she can add value to himself/herself and
become better and more independent.

I had started learning a couple of years ago but due to my busy schedule I
am not able to practise therefore I cannot read braille but I know one day I
will learn. Kanchan