[AI] Section 49-O of the Constitution

Sanjay ilovecold at gmail.com
Thu May 22 11:04:26 EDT 2008

I am pasting the following interesting piece of information which I received
as a mail attachment.  Some of you can throw light on the below mentioned
constitutional provision. I am really not sure of such a provision.

Did you know that there is a system in our constitution, as per the 1969
act, insection "49-O" that a person can go to the polling booth, confirm his
identity, get his finger marked and convey the presiding election officer
that he doesn't want to vote anyone! Yes such a feature is available, but
obviously these seemingly notoriousleaders have never disclosed it. This is
called "49-O". Why should you go and say "I VOTE NOBODY"... because, in a
ward, if acandidate wins, say by 123 votes, and that particular ward has
received"49-O" votes more
 than 123, then that polling will be cancelled andwill have to be re-polled.
Not only that, but the candidature of thecontestants will be removed and
they cannot contest the re-polling, sincepeople had already expressed their
decision on them. This would bring fear intoparties and hence look for
genuine candidates for their parties for election.This would change the way,
of our whole political system... it is seeminglysurprising why the election
commission has not revealed such a feature to thepublic....Please spread
this news to as many as you know...Seems to be a wonderful weaponagainst
corrupt parties in India... show your power,expressing your desire notto
vote for anybody, is even more powerful than voting... so don't missyour
chance. So either vote, or vote not to vote (vote 49-O) and pass this
infoon..."Please forward this mail to as many as possible, so that we, the
people of India, can really use this
 power to save our nation". Use your votingright for a better INDIA.