[AI] Blind Law Graduates Versus Vacant Posts of Judges in Lower Judiciary in India

SC Vashishth subhashvashishth at gmail.com
Wed May 14 08:27:07 EDT 2008

Dear Kanchan,
Greetings!

I read your article for Combat Law with great enthusiasm. I always wondered
what it takes for a blind person to be accepted in the legal fraternity. I
have learnt a lot from your experiences that you shared in the article.

I am training a young blind law graduate of Delhi University who practices
under me in various legal forums in Delhi. Often the absence of
escort/reader becomes a road block. Since he serves as my associate, it
becomes difficult to convince clients in the beginning that the blind
advocate would be able to serve their interest and they often insist on my
presence or of some sighted associate. But I think with passage of time and
with one or two positive experiences the clients would fall in line.

I am also training him to sit for the judiciary examination. With our
persistent efforts as AICB's advocacy Committee under the leadership of Sh.
MK Rastogi, the Delhi High Court  had in the past reserved the post of civil
judges and MMs in lower judiciary for the blind and low vision candidates
too!  But till date we haven't found any blind law graduate coming forward
with this determination that he would like to sit for the exam.

Due to non-availability of Blind Law graduates, various posts in judiciary
are lying vacant. Also there are few other states who do not pay regard to
the reservation provisions and still hold the view that blind can't be
judges. Andhra Pradesh and Jharkhand have openly refused to accept the
reservation provision in judiciary for the blind. This is despite the fact
that the the post if identified for the blind in the identification list of
the ministry. I have AP's refusal letter with me while Jharkhand has openly
declared in the recent recruitment advertisement that the reservation is not
given to the disabled on this post. We lack on both ends i.e. demand and
supply. Dearth of competitive law graduates Versus Vacant posts/denial of
reservation by Judiciary.

I am interested to conduct a training programme of 5-6 months duration for
the preparation of the judiciary exams for the blind. I have proposed to
conduct such a programme but I need at least 10-20 young law graduates with
good command on English language and good at communication skills. May be We
would soon see the first Indian Blind Judge.

warm regards,

Subhash Chandra Vashishth,
Advocate-Disability Rights
Member-AICB's Advocacy Committee