[AI] Reading phonemic symbols with JAWS 9.0

Wael wael_syntax at yahoo.com
Sat May 10 19:06:49 EDT 2008

to recognize the actual meaning of phonemic symbols
you should remember the fact that any language has its
written system as well as its aural system, aural in
the sense that we listen and speak as well as we read
and write.

reading and writing uses the printed alphabet to
express the written and/or read content, but how about
the spoken and listened sounds of language?
let me give you an example:
the word Cat is spellt C A T in writing.
though in phonemic transcription it is spelt
-k- -æ- -t-
the middle phoneme represents the letter "A" ina
certain manner that's different from the letter "A" in
words like: salt, cane, etc.

so, phonemes are the pronunciation characters of a
specific language.

now, how could we write phonemes?

the answer is: by learning the phonemic symbols.
how if there is a word document containing those
phonemic symbols?
comes the IPA symbols for jaws we are issuing!

hth
smiles
--- Anubha Bhargava <pinkanu.anubha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello friends,
> Could any1 of u pls tell me, what is meant by
> 'phonemic symbols'?
> What are they used for & where?
> Many thanks in advance & best regards.  Anubha.

ftp://ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/WebFiles/Tools/eloq.zip

Wael Zakareya
http://blindPlus.wordpress.com
http://blindPlus.blogspot.com
http://www.NGOEgypt.com