[AI] Old Hard Disk

Wael wael_syntax at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 13:16:37 EDT 2008

in fact a blind person could easily check and fix his
own hardware components.

hard disks mostly require no bios interferances,
computer hard disks normally are connected with the
mother board and the power supply.
only two ways could a motherboard detect a hard disk:
1. master/slave attachment.
depending on the jumper settings printed over your
hard disk and so once a blind could get the settings
for the master and the slave statuses of his hard disk
he could surely adjust his own hard disk.
2. cable select.
a connection to the motherboard depending on the
position of the hard disk on your middle or last
socket of the data cable.

be sure if your hard disk didn't lose its media, or
booting sector, you could easily perform the job of
copying the stored data as you like.

hth
--- Harish Kotian <harish at accessindia.org.in> wrote:

> Hi Alpana
>
> You can install 2 hard disks on a system. In this
> case, you can configure your old hard disk as a
> slave. This has to be done at the BIOS level. This
> means, you will need sighted help for it.
> Once your hard disk is detected by your system, you
> can copy from it as you normally access drives using
> My-computer and Windows explorer.
> Harish.

Wael Zakareya
http://blindPlus.wordpress.com