[AI] Doing our bit to save the Earth

Arpit Jain arpit_rke at yahoo.co.in
Tue May 6 01:09:26 EDT 2008

Doing our bit to save the Earth

28 Apr 2008, 0537 hrs IST,TNN

The realisation has finally dawned, but the clock is ticking away with
little time left. The Earth, climate change, environment are now top on
everybody's mind. And not without reason. Melting glaciers, rising sea
levels, floods, draughts, food shortage and tsunamis cannot be ignored
anymore. These are the fallouts of the years of uncontrolled and careless
human activity that have affected every corner of the Earth.

It's time that we not only realised the danger of this new reality that is
threatening our existence but also recognised the urgency with which we need
to act and do our bit to save the Earth.

Times Foundation has taken up several initiatives to raise awareness about
this global challenge. It has partnered with JSW for the Times of India
Earth Care Awards 2008. This is an effort to recognise local and relevant
action in tackling challenges posed by climate change. Besides, encouraging
corporates to actively engage in environment-friendly preservation
activities and projects.

The awards are technically supported by The Energy and Resources Institute
(TERI) and the Centre for Environment Education (CEE). This is a pioneering
step in response to the increasing need to provide credible and technically
sound leadership to identify and foster actions across sectors with special
reference to mitigation and adaptation imperatives related to climate change
and global warming.

Concern Planet is the ongoing initiative targeting the youth to sensitise
them about climate change. The Foundation recently conducted a teacher
sensitisation workshop with 45 schools of Delhi/ NCR in partnership with
TERI to create ambassadors among schoolteachers who in turn would educate
the children.

On the occasion of Earth Day (April 22), the Foundation along with Tata
Telecommunications Services Limited conducted an SMS campaign from April
22-24. The message stating 'Let's do our bit to save the earth - it's now or
never ' was sent to around 3 million subscribers in Delhi and NCR.

To pledge your support to save the Earth, visit the website and sign your
name, www.timesfoundation.org click on 'Today Let's Pledge Our Support To
Save The Earth'.

You can also take action in your own little way to save the Earth. Here are
a few tips: l Shut down your computer to save power: Left on all day a
computer uses 1000 kw electricity in a year, which means over a ton of
carbon emissions in a year

Use a laptop to save energy: Laptops are more environmental friendly than
desktops. It consumes five times less electricity. f you buy a desktop, get
an LCD screen

Don't wash your jeans often: Wear your jeans at least three times. Wash them
in cold water. Don't use the dryer or the iron. By following these practices
people can consume up to five times less energy

CFLs to light your lives: Replace incandescent bulbs with compact
fluorescents (CFLs). These use four times less energy and last eight times
longer

Don't over-water your garden: Lawns only need watering once a week, post
rain only after two weeks. Do watering early morning for minimal evaporation
and water conservation

Serious issue over a tissue: Tissue paper is a major source of waste. Use
handkerchief instead. It takes 60,00,000 trees to make one-year's worth of
tissues for the world

Pull the plug and save: Battery chargers, such as those for laptops and cell
phones, draw power whenever they are plugged in and are very inefficient.

For more such interesting and easy tips you can log on to
www.goodearth.timesofindia.com