[AI] Reading phonemic symbols with JAWS 9.0

Amiyo Biswas amiyo.biswas at gmail.com
Mon May 5 07:44:27 EDT 2008

Hello Suresh,

How is it useful to you? I did not really understand. Rather I have modified
the eloq.sbl file available from
ftp://ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/WebFiles/Tools/eloq.zip
and modified relevant portion of it to read Bengali characters. It is almost
the same as the IPA_sbl in method. It enables me to read and write Bengali
character by character. You can also modify relevant portion of the file to
read characters in other Indian languages. I am just showing some examples:
The original file contained:
symbol1940=U+0995 10101010 Bengali K
I revised it as:
symbol1940=U+0995 10101010 kaw

It needs some patience, but it works. The format may be like the one in the
IPA_sbl.txt file. In that case jaws will not recognise the Bengali vowels.
The synth setting value 10101010 must be provided to make sure that jaws
announces it at all levels of punctuation verbosity. Most probably, these
unicode symbols are treated as punctuation marks and hence, jaws always has
a questioning tone while pronouncing these characters.

Best regards,

Amiyo.

Cell: +91-9433464329