[AI] Spice Mobile unveils 3G handsets; eyes Rs 1000 crore

renuka warriar erenuka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 10:40:54 EDT 2008

The Hindu News Update Service
Dell-thehindu_NewsUpdate_EarP/150x501896004
Dell-thehindu_NewsUpdate_EarP/150x5018960041898412
News Update Service
Tuesday, April 29, 2008 : 1745 Hrs
Business
Spice Mobile unveils 3G handsets; eyes Rs 1000 crore turnover

New Delhi (PTI): B K Modi controlled Spice Mobiles on Tuesday launched the first Indian branded 3G and CDMA200 handsets in technological collaboration with
Qualcomm and said it is targeting half a million of these handset sales in the current fiscal.

Spice Mobiles, which aims a turnover of Rs 1,000 crore in the current fiscal, today launched two 3G enabled handsets based on both GSM and CDMA technologies,
C-810 and S-950.

This comes ahead of the commercial launch of such advanced mobile broadband services in India which aims to capture the market once 3G policy is announced
and operators start rolling services.

"We aim to sell four million standard handsets in the current fiscal and target half a million 3G handsets sales separately", Spice Mobiles Vice President
Dilip Modi said.

C-810 (the CDMA enabled handset) is priced at Rs 6500 while the GSM 3G handset is priced at Rs 8500.

The company is launching 3G enabled handsets ahead of roll out to capture marketshare over rivals. LG has already introduced 3G handsets in the Indian market
three years ago at a higher price point.

It anticipates the 3G spectrum policy to be announced at the earliest enabling operators roll out the services fast.

Qulacomm India President Kanwalinder Singh said, "We are pleased to collaborate with Spice Mobiles to introduce the first Indian branded 3G handset and
an open market CDMA2000 handset".

"We are launching the first Indian 3G enabled device with technical collaboration with Qualcomm. The Indian CDMA market has been operator-dependent. We
are offering open market CDMA handsets," Modi said adding the firm would also look at exporting the handsets to the South Asian markets.