[AI] Roaming Charges Slashed

shahnaz shycurrim at yahoo.co.in
Tue Apr 29 04:37:18 EDT 2008

NEW DELHI: Airtel on Monday morning announced slashing
of the STD and roaming tariffs. The move is bound to
be followed by other leading operators, including
Vodafone Essar.

Airtel reduced its STD rates dramatically to Re 1.50 a
minute from the existing Rs 2.65 a minute, benefiting
its 62 million plus customers who make long
distance calls.

The new tariffs will be effective from April 30.
Airtel has also reduced the roaming tariffs and its
customers will now be able to receive a call while
roaming anywhere in the country at just Re 1 a minute,
as compared to Re 1.75 a minute at present.

Further, while roaming, Airtel customers can make an
outgoing local call at Re1 a minute and an STD call at
Re 1.50 a minute.

The move is expected to be a major relief for the
subscribers who are expected to use the mobile
services far more freely across the circle boundaries
as
it would now become much cheaper.

"Airtel has today taken another step to take forward
India's telecom story powered by enhanced
affordability. About 800 million Indians are now
closer than
ever before. This initiative will particularly benefit
rural customers and underlines our commitment to the
nation's growth," said Manoj Kohli, President
& CEO, Bharti Airtel.

"With 70 per cent STD customers in India using less
than 5 minutes a month on STD calls and 80 per cent
mobile customers not using their phones while roaming,
we have a compelling customer proposition. I am
delighted that we are leading this endeavour, which
strengthens our strategic plank of affordability,"
added Sanjay Kapoor, President, Mobile Services,
Bharti Airtel.

With education, tourism and travel expected to be the
key growth driver of the future, pan Indian telecom
operators are hoping that cheaper communication
will help facilitate cultural, social and commercial
exchanges to their benefit.

      Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html