[AI] Blind Man Teaches Intruder A Lesson

shahnaz shycurrim at yahoo.co.in
Sun Apr 27 04:13:11 EDT 2008

print()
Blind man teaches intruder a lesson
Friday, 25 April , 2008, 16:24
Indianapolis:
A legally blind man beat up an intruder and
held him at knifepoint until police
arrived at the man's eastside home, authorities said.
Allan Kieta, 49, told police he was at home on
Monday morning when his small dog
began barking and he encountered the man.
"I opened the door and just ran into him. I had
him pinned in the laundry room and
just kept pummeling," said Kieta, a former wrestler in
high school.
He said he grabbed the intruder by the belt and
dragged him into the kitchen, where
he put a knife at the man's throat and tried to dial
911.
"Being visually impaired, I couldn't get the
buttons because I was using my left
hand," he said. "It took me about 20 tries."
Police arrived within minutes and arrested
Alvaro Castro, 25, on an initial charge
of residential entry, Sgt. Matthew Mount said.
Lt. Jeff Duhamell was impressed with Kieta's feat.
"It’s pretty remarkable for anyone who is blind
to be able to defend himself, let
alone make an apprehension," Duhamell said. "To
be able to grab this guy and hold
him down until police got there is pretty remarkable."
Castro, who was initially taken to the Wishard
Memorial Hospital detention facility,
denied trying to burglarise the home and said he
was a former boyfriend of Kieta's
daughter and was trying to visit her, said Mount.
Kieta said Castro told him he was looking for his cat.
"I go, 'Your cat? You're in my house!'" Kieta
recalled.
Castro was transferred to the Marion County Jail on
Monday night.
Kieta said he suffered swollen hands and a sore
back, but no serious injuries.
"When my wife was cleaning the blood off, she
said, 'I think it's all his,'" Kieta
said.

      Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger at http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/?wm=n/