[AI] Retina Chip Implant

shahnaz shycurrim at yahoo.co.in
Sun Apr 27 04:11:30 EDT 2008

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=MM&BaseHref=MMIR/2008/04/22&PageLabel=30&EntityId=Ar03000&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

A group of American scientists have given a
visually-impaired
grandmother a chance to see her grandchildren dance
and play football.

Linda Moorfoot, who suffers from the eye condition
retinitis
pigmentosa that causes blindness, is thrilled after
having part of her
sight restored by a bionic eye.

The new invention is a tiny camera that scientists
hope to actually
insert into the eye within the next five years.

The new technology tested by Moorfoot uses an external
camera worn on
a pair of dark glasses. The camera sends images to a
radio receiver
implanted near the eye, which transmits a signal on to
a tiny silicon
and platinum chip that sits on the retina.

This information then goes down the optic nerve into
the brain.

Scientist Dr Mark Humayun has developed a small and
powerful camera
that could be implanted inside a patient's eye, rather
than worn on a
pair of glasses
"When I go to the grandkids' hockey game or soccer
game I can see
which direction the game is moving in," Moorfoot said.

"I can shoot baskets with my grandson. And I can see
my granddaughter
dancing across the stage. It's wonderful," she added.

The team led by Dr Mark Humayun - a professor of
ophthalmology and
biomedical engineering at the Doheny Eye Institute in
Los Angeles –
have now developed a small and powerful camera that
could be implanted
inside the patient's eye, rather than worn on a pair
of glasses.

"The camera is very, very small and very low power, so
it can go
inside your eye and couple your eye movement to where
the camera is,"
said Dr Humayun. "With this kind of missing
information, the brain can
fill in. This field is really blossoming."

"So in the next four to five years I hope, and we all
hope, that we
will see technology that's much more advanced," he
added.

"There are millions of people around the world with
sight loss. We
would welcome any developments that could prevent
sight loss and
restore sight," said Christina Nicolaidou, spokeswoman
for the
UK-based Royal National Institute of Blind (RNIB).

"This research could be exciting and we will be
following it over the
next few years to see how it develops," she added.

      Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it on http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/