[AI] How can we do aerobic exercise ?

mufazal munshi mufshi at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 20 03:20:44 EDT 2008

hello sudhir,
no form of exercise is out of bounds for us. i completely disagree, as i
have been going to the gym for more than 6 years and cant fathom a life with
no phisical exercise. yes, cardio-vascular activity is a must for the body
and being blind does have a few shortcomings with regard to which form of
such activity one can undertake. however, the forms most appropriate would
be running, jogging and walking etc on a tread mill, besides which one can
pursue something called spinning on a stationary cycle, swimming, aqua
aerobics, vibro-training skipping and free hand weights exercise. several
forms of aerobics are quite workable as are several forms of power yoga. the
perhaps risky forms would be to jog or run on a sidewalk in open air
outdoors, marshall arts or high vigour activities such as fast dancing etc.
such exercises have a slight risk of making the performer dizzy with motion
and therefore disoriented.
certainly, a tread mill is safe and a blind person just has to orient
himself with the controls and pace of the movement of the belt. also, there
are safety clips on many machines which can be worn on the person of the
user and while using the machine if any unfor seen slip happens the clip
will snap, stopping the tread mill immediately. personally, i advise that to
do any such activity one must go to the gym as opposed to trying to stay
home and  do it yourself. going to the gym will give you the advantages of
cross training with many more machines, all of which you might not afford to
buy and bring home. if u went to the gym you would be able to
proportionately use the facility to alternate between the various cross
training programs, have someone constantly monitor your progress as well as
your performance and your accuracy at maintaining your form. workouts
alongside with other members in itself is a motivator and it will keep u at
it.plus, just let your imagination tell you other social advantages you will
have with such a venture! smile!! might you consider a healthy diet? well, i
know it may not be a most practical suggestion with our given lifestyles,
but thoda control kar lo yaar!!

have a happy and a hazard free holi!

muffi.