[AI] Speed up your internet connection

vishnu ramchandani vishnuhappy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 07:20:35 EDT 2008

Speed up your internet connection
Amit Agarwal

When you type an address like www.yahoo.com in your
browser address bar, the computer doesn’t know where
yahoo.com points to, and it will therefore, ask
the DNS server.

The job of a DNS server is to translate this
human-readable web address (like www.yahoo.com) into a
computer-readable number also known as an IP address
(209.131.36.158). Once your computer knows the IP
location of a web domain name, it opens the website in
your browser.

DNS is an integral part of our internet life working
behind the scenes every time we connect to a website.
In most situations, our internet service provider
specifies the DNS server address that we key into your
browser settings or the router. Unfortunately, this
can prove to be the weakest link in the entire
workflow. For example, if the DNS server of your ISP
is slow, the time it takes to resolve the web address
adds up to the overall loading time of the website.

To solve this problem, we look at a simple but
extremely reliable service called OpenDNS that speeds
up your internet connection and also takes care of
some other very important issues (keep reading). There
is no software to install, it’s so non-geeky that mom
can implement the steps and the price is just
right—$0.

To use OpenDNS, all you have to do is open your
network connections or router’s settings page and
update the default DNS server to point to the OpenDNS
nameservers that are 208.67.222.222 and
208.67.220.220.

The whole process takes a few seconds, but with this
single step alone, you just made your computer safer
and increased the overall browsing speed.

Here’s why:

Unlike the DNS servers of your less reliable ISP,
OpenDNS servers store the IP addresses of millions of
websites in their cache so it would take less time
to resolve your requests. So if you have asked for an
IP address of a website that has been previously
requested by another OpenDNS user, you will get
the reply instantly.

Another huge advantage of using OpenDNS is that it
blocks phishing websites from loading on your
computer. It uses data from Phishtank, a community
site
that is also used by Yahoo! Mail to determine if some
particular website is part of any online phishing
scam.

OpenDNS also takes care of any typos that you commit
while typing the name of popular websites. For
instance, if you type www.gogle.com omitting the
additional
‘o’ by mistake, OpenDNS will open the main
www.google.com site automatically.

If you are a parent worried about kids visiting adult
websites on the home computer, you can configure
OpenDNS to blog any adult/pornography website from

In fact, quite a few business places use OpenDNS to
block social sites like MySpace and Facebook on
employee computers.

Power users can assign abbreviations or OpenDNS
Shortcuts to access their favourite websites more
quickly.

For instance, you can set ‘mail’ as a shortcut for
http://mail.google.com/ or something like ‘a’ for
www.reallylongname.com—just type the shortcut to
access
the site. A good alternative for browser-based
bookmarks and it works across all computers where you
have logged in to your OpenDNS account.

Now that you are prepared to switch to OpenDNS, please
don’t expect huge gains in browsing speed since
OpenDNS only improves the cycle between your computer
and the DNS server. And do keep handy the DNS settings
given by your ISP since in the extreme scenario when
OpenDNS system goes down or is inaccessible,
you would need the previous configuration.

      Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html