[AI] IT sector starts shedding its differently abled resources.

Manish Agrawal magrawal at sapient.com
Fri Feb 22 05:43:55 EST 2008

Someone on this thread said: <snip> I have repeatedly said that being
handicaps we deserve more than
others from the nation. </snip>

I couldn't disagree more with this statement.
We deserve equal or less than what we contribute to the nation and there
is no other factor that determines what we deserve.
It is a debate at the paradigm level and I don't want to move this
thread away from the subject of discrimination in employment.
My views on the subject having stayed with the private sector in IT for
a fairly long time now are very different and contrary to most views
expressed on the subject so far.
Even with the eminent recession in the US and everything, the fact still
remains that there is a net shortage of "adequately skilled" people in
the IT industry in India. I know that at a general level and also have a
first hand experience having been hiring for my company for a long time
now.
As a company, I am hard stretched to retain my good people let alone
coming up with divisive ways of firing them.
The keyword here is "adequately skilled". the private sector is for
profit and not for charity. we need to prove our worth to earn the
returns. In my career across different companies I have seen at least 4
rounds of layoffs and none of them were focused at cutting me off first
because I am blind. Layoffs are a pure mechanism of cutting costs. The
highest cost centers that are expected to give the lowest returns are
laid off first.
if we are trying to say that "Since we are blind, we will be less
productive, cost the same or more than others but deserve greater job
security than others because there is nowhere else for us to go." then
that argument falls on its face.
If we are not "less productive" then I can bet that there is no private
company so dumb as to let go of its relatively higher productive people
just because of a bias.
We need to come out of this mindset of "deserving" charity. There is no
such thing.
"deserving" a level playing field is much more tenable. A 'level playing
field" however, means that we play with the rules as they apply to
everyone and in this particular case, the private sector needs to be
able to right size its workforce to stay profitable.
I have worked on a contract for a fairly long time as well but that was
the case for my peers as well and that had nothing to do with the fact
that I am blind.
I am not saying that in the specific case that started this thread there
is no malpractice (simply because I don't know anything about this
specific case). However, it is wrong to generalize this to the entire
private sector.
I will propose a radically different idea: "I wish things were the same
in the govt. sector as well." This so called "job security" in the govt
sector is what causes most govt. officials to be as productive as we all
know they are.
This statement I'm sure will provoke heated responses but those are my
personal views and I'll not respond to this thread any more or try to
defend this in any way.

Regards,
Manish