[AI] A new insight into lives of the differently-abled

Vikas Kapoor dl.vikas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 20:02:38 EST 2008

A new insight into lives of the differently-abled

'We Care Filmfest-2008' opens at India International Centre in the Capital today

Offering a glimpse into the lives of differently-abled persons is a two-day film festival that opens at India International Centre in the Capital on Wednesday.
Unlike other films, here the protagonist himself would be a physically challenged person giving viewers a glimpse into his private life.

Thirty-eight films and documentaries on various issues concerning the lives of physically challenged persons would be screened at "We Care Filmfest-2008".

Filmmakers

These movies and documentaries have been made by filmmakers from Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Kanpur, Ahmedabad and, of course, the host city.

Filmmakers from China, Israel and Greece would also be screening their films and documentaries to sensitise Delhiites about the problems being faced by
differently-abled persons.

Besides creating awareness about disability issues and fostering integration in society, the film festival aims to give a fillip to the rights of differently-abled
persons. "Some of our films are highlighting the fundamental rights of persons with disability according to the local law. They also have the right to
laugh, cry, work in offices and marry just like any other normal person. Despite being empowered with law, physically challenged persons are discriminated
by society and sometimes are mocked at as they are not considered normal," says 'We Care Filmfest' director Satish Kapoor.

Audience part of rating

While an independent jury headed by School of Convergence executive director Subodh Lal will be adjudicating these films, the audience will be part of a
rating process. The public would be given the right to rate the films that would give an alternate opinion on the quality, content and portrayal of disability.
A questionnaire would be given to them during the two-day festival.

Actor and theatre personality M. K. Raina of "Taare Zameen Par" fame will be the chief guest.

Madhur Tankha

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/02/20/stories/2008022052150200.htm

Vikas Kapoor,
MSN Id:dl_vikas at hotmail.com, Yahoo&Skype Id: dl_vikas,