[AI] Policy for Examination

Dinesh Kaushal dineshkaushal at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 05:30:15 EST 2008

With regard to limiting the number of scribes per examination by RBI,
percentage of marks, different stream for the scribe, etc. I have tried to
present the scenario below, however these events did not occur at once, but
I had faced similar situations during my various exams.

I have written the problems in scenario form as arguments may not work, but
scenarios do sometimes convey the issues more clearly.

Of course the RBI condition was not there, but somehow examining bodies tend
to get such information fairly quickly, and they are very efficient in
adopting such rules.

Following scenario does not explain all the problems that I or others have
faced, but this is my first attempt, and already the story is getting a bit
incoherent.

Exam scenario

1.  I am going to appear for an examination for b.comm second year.
2. The schedule spans from 5 April to 20 May, god knows if it is a good
thing or bad, one gets enough time to prepare, but the length can kill
easily.
3. This is the time when some people are going for vacations or other are at
summer courses.
4. When I talked to my college authorities, they tell me that there is a
circular from CCD which says that I have to find someone who has less than
50 percent marks, 1 grade junior, and from different stream, and only one
person is allowed for the entire duration of the examination.
5. On further discussion, they tell me that last year they were not aware
about these rules, and when I find out, I get to know that the circular was
for professional exams, but the college would not budge .
6. I talk to a friend's acquaintance  and request him to write my exams, who
has just finished 12th and is not busy during the same duration, but he
tells me that he has scored in his 11th grade 65 percent marks, and seems
not many people would have scored less than his marks.
7. I then get to talk to another friend, who is willing to write for me, who
has scored less than 50 percent in his 12th grade, and is now in his first
year, but since he has his exams at the same time, agrees only to write for
one paper. But I have a problem, as there is a rule that the a single scribe
should appear for all the papers, this person is also out of consideration.
8. I am not able to find a scribe who can write all my papers, and I am
feeling that this year I may not be able to appear for any of them.
9. Where as my other class mates are concerned about the course content, I
am yet not able to focus completely on my preparation, and the kind of
questions that may come, as my scribe is yet not arranged.
10. I gather more energy and contact my friends for further references, but
not many of them know someone with less than 50 percent marks, at least one
year junior, someone with different stream (who can understand how to write
advance math symbols) and is available for the entire duration.
11. Finally I am able to arrange one person, who has agreed for the entire
duration, so there seems some hope for this year.
12. Well, we are able to manage for 3 exams (with difficulty) as my scribe
does not understand advance math symbols used in graduation, as he is doing
B.A. pass, so I spend sometime with him to practice. Such situations are
normal, and I feel like preparing symbol chart for the reference, but who
knows if examiner will allow it.
13. During my 4th exam, suddenly he starts feeling intense pain in his head,
so we take a break for him to rest, and wait so that his headache improves
As time passes. After some time we try again, but within a few minutes it is
clear that he would not be able to focus on the writing, and we have to
arrange for the visit to the doctor. Visit to the doctor means that the
paper would not be finished, and I will have to reappear next year.
14. I think I should be able to appear for the last paper even though my
fourth paper was not completed, and I arrange for another person as my
original scribe is still not well.
15. When I present myself with new scribe, college authorities do not allow
me to appear, as the rule says that only one scribe is allowed during the
entire duration for one examination. So now I will reappear for 2 papers
next year.

Regards
Dinesh Kaushal

blog at