[AI] Invitation for seminar “Inclusion and Exclusion: Exploring Issues and Practices”

Prashant Naik pranaik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 08:37:57 EST 2008

dear sir,

the concept note is just below the signature in our first post.  we have
pasted it below the message as attachments are not allowed in the group
posts.  once again i am putting the concept note here as below.  - prashant
naik

THE CONCEPT NOTE:

St. Xavier's College, Mumbai and Liverpool Hope University, U.K.
are jointly hosting an International Colloquium on
"Inclusion and Exclusion: Exploring Issues and Practices"

This one day colloquium initiates an international research partnership
designed to explore common interests in the many aspects of inclusion. We
understand inclusion to be that movement which seeks to diminish barriers to
participation in community, culture and curriculum for all, regardless of
social class, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, language, sexuality
and so on. Considering the number of marginalized groups in our society, the
question of inclusion into the mainstream is a relevant issue for
discussion.

This programme is for members of the teaching community and others working
in the field and will be held on Wednesday 27th February 2008, from 9 am to
5.30 pm. A working lunch will be served.

The morning session is a theoretical exploration of some of the contested
territories and ideologies of inclusion and the challenges and opportunities
it represents to our societies. There will be paper presentations followed
by discussions.
The afternoon session, by contrast, is a practical, hands-on experience,
focused on a specific area, viz. inclusion for the 'differently abled'
students, in mainstream college education. The format will be an
experiential learning workshop, designed to sensitize educators, and to help
them cater to the needs of these students.
At the end of the day, there will be a discussion to consolidate the
learning and to bring out the links between theory and practice.

To register for this international programme, send in the following details
(name, college/organisation and personal contact number and email) to
Genevive at the XDP office, by 20th February 2008. You can call or send an
email.
Telefax: 22617677 or email: xdp at xaviers.edu
The registration fee of Rs.200/- is to be paid when you come for the
programme on 27/02/2008. Participation certificates can be collected at the
end of that day itself.
We look forward to an enthusiastic response from the teaching staff of your
Organisation.

Dr. Frazer Mascarenhas S.J.
Principal
St Xavier's College
Mumbai.

St. Xavier's College, Mumbai and Liverpool Hope University, U.K.
are jointly hosting an international colloquium on
"Inclusion and Exclusion: Exploring Issues and Practices"

Tentative schedule for 27/02/2008

9.00 am           Welcome and introductions

SESSION ONE

9.15 am           Paper presentation by Prof. Peter Clough (Liverpool Hope
University) on 'Inclusion: Territories & Challenges in 2008'
9.45 am           Paper presentation by Prof. Wendy Bignold (Liverpool Hope
University)
10.05 am          Discussion

10.30 am         Tea break

11.00 am          Paper presentation by Dr. Edward Rodrigues (Head,
Sociology Dept., St. Xavier's College)
11.25 am          Paper presentation by Dr. Sujata Patel (Professor,
Sociology Dept., University of Pune)
11.50 am          Paper presentation by Prof. Maureen Almeida (Head,
Psychology Dept., St. Xavier's College)
12.15 am          Discussion

1.00 pm           Lunch

SESSION TWO

2.00 pm          Paper presentation by Prof. Peter Clough (Liverpool Hope
University) on 'Towards Inclusive Learning Practices'
2.30 pm          Workshop by Dr. Sam Taraporewala and Ms. Neha Trivedi on
Sensitization towards the 'differently-abled' students to facilitate
inclusion into mainstream college education.

4.00 pm          Tea break

4.15 pm          Discussion on explicit linking of theory and practice led
by Prof. Liz Gayton, Head of the Deanery of Education, Liverpool Hope
University.
5.30 pm          Vote of Thanks

end of schedule.

On 2/14/08, Prof. S. R. Mittal <srmittal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear sir.
> The concept note as mentioned in the mail is missing. Please mail the
> same.
> Mittal.

VISION WITHOUT ACTION IS MERELY A DREAM,
ACTION WITHOUT VISION JUST PASSES THE TIME,
VISION WITH ACTION CAN CHANGE THE WORLD.