[AI] Cell Phone for the visuallly impaired

sriram kalyanaraman sriram_tkr at yahoo.co.in
Wed Feb 13 23:41:17 EST 2008

Hi,

  Kindly indicate which phone models are compatible with Ttalk software used in cell phones.

  Thanks,
  K. Sriram

Per <Reisender at online.de> wrote:
  Hi,

I havn't read about this topic in this list and it could be interesting for
some of you. Spice from India announced a Braille phone for blind people.
The following is from a Blog (source at bottom):

.... very interested in Spice Mobile's low-cost phone for the blind. The
"Phone for the Visually Impaired" is a very simple,
voice-only phone with a braille keypad. When you press a button, it speaks
the number, and when you press the call key, it speaks the number you
dialed.
It has ten speed dials, and it could retail for less than $20.

Spice reps at the show said they're in touch with various advocates and
charities for the blind, and could produce the phone in European, American
GSM,
or even CDMA models, covering the globe. If it's sponsored by a charity, the
phones could even be free.

Voice phone calls are probably one of the most blind-friendly technologies I
can think of, so it's very surprising to me that Braille phones with voice
prompts are so few and far between. Samsung released one in China in 2006,
and Samsung phones in general can be set to speak everything they do, but
the
low cost of this model could get a lot of blind people across the globe
connected.

Spice also showed the "People's Phone," which is like the Braille phone but
without the Braille. The displayless People's Phone will retail for $10-20
in
India, said Spice product development head Anuj Nangia.

Removing the display helps the People's Phone avoid the fate of the MOTOFONE
F3, a black-and-white-display phone produced by Motorola that didn't sell as
well as expected in India. A display raises expectations of text messaging
and multimedia, where removing the display (and pricing the phone at $10)
makes
it clear this is just a voice device, Nangia said.

"It's like the olden days, when we had fixed lines with no display," he
said.

Source:
http://www.gearlog.com/2008/02/spice_mobiles_phone_for_the_bl.php

Best regards, Per