[AI] Writing style

Viraj vkafle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:25:32 EST 2008

Hi,

Please note that nowhere in its guidelines this list emphasises on any
particular standard of language to be maintained. Besides, people joining
this list are of various educational levels and background. To expect from
all of us to use a perfectly refined English, therefore, does not appear
justified. True, one must always improve. But one must not make a regid
distinction in terms of being higher or lower in terms of one's language
skills. As Ved Prakash sir said, one can always ask for clarifications if
things do not sound clear. I would add that there seems no problem if one
suggests someone to improve his/her language skills. But I see no reasons to
get "appalled", nor do we should behave to someone as if one has committed
some crime.

You haven't named anyone. But it is more than obvious that you reacted to
Govind's introductory mail. The mistakes he made by no means barred us from
understanding what he want to say or request. Having a career of a voice and
accent trainer (or any career for that matter) ahead, he will have to do a
lot of hard work, true. But for no good reason should he take his
achievements so far as a matter of "shame".

What appears appalling to me is the way someone has to apologise for once
communication method, even when that method, albeit a bit odd in terms of
grammar and syntax, was sufficient enough to convey his ideas. Let this list
not be a place restricted only for perfect English speakers/writers, but the
one in which we all, regardless of our communication skills, can exchange
our ideas, views and knowledge on the topics meant to be discussed here.

Regards.