[AI] How do I increase my fluency in spoken english?

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:16:53 EST 2008

Hi,

1.  Besides the BBC, the voice of America is also a good source to learn
English.  At one point of time, they used to have special English
programmes.  You may want to see their programme guides, find such
programmes and listen to them.

2.  Reduce the usage of colloquial expressions.

3.  Speak complete sentences in English.  Do not mix English and other
languages.  I appreciate the fact that mixing languages is virtually a norm
today.  However, you need to be able to "think" in English and subsequently,
express yourself in that language.  To facilitate this process, pure English
communication is a must.

4.  You may want to look at audio Internet chat rooms to find people to help
you speak in English.  I understand that there is a vibrant community of
Indians in such places who may be willing to assist you.  Please remember
that other nationalities also have similar issues.  Therefore, you may be
able to find a speaking partner who would help you improve your fluency in
English.

5.  If you are a student, your school or university may have debating clubs
or debating societies.  You could join them and take advantage of public
speaking opportunities.
Pranav