[AI] How do I increase my fluency in spoken english?

Subramani L lsubramani at deccanherald.co.in
Sun Feb 10 23:23:17 EST 2008

As someone who teaches English (to my Japanese friends as hobby), I have
understood certain things:

. English learning need not be formal. You can make use of interactive
materials on the net or spend time speaking English with friends.
. What you need basically is confidence. For eg: when I was learning
Japanese, I had no fear in making mistakes (especially during my private
conversations with native speakers). Make mistakes as much as possible
with those who can speak well and who can correct you.
. Don't just copy the accent --learn things like the exact pronunciation
of each letter, word and sentence. Another secret about English Language
is that the rhythm patterns (stress on syllables, words and sentences)
are different from our own mother tongue and so, it is important to
master the stress and pause pattern.
. Learn the phrases and idioms --aspects of the language that makes it
rich. If you use things like 'throwing down the gauntlet' for instance,
which incidentally means throwing a challenge to someone, the scope and
range of your communication would expand and you would surely feel the
confidence.

Hope this helps.

Subramani