[AI] BrailleMaster: Louis Braille Memorial

rajiv rgdcnb1980 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jan 6 00:22:39 EST 2008

BrailleMaster: Louis Braille Memorial
BrailleMaster Resource Page

Louis Braille Memorial

Louis Braille The life story of Louis Braille has been published
frequently. Born in 1809, having lost his sight to an accident at the
age of three, he
spent most his life living and working in institutions for the blind,
and died prematurely at the age of forty-three. Most biographers
concentrate on the
genius of his invention and his dedication to education of the blind -
he was a beloved and well-respected music teacher.

However, despite the fact that Braille code is so obviously convenient
and the fact that Louis Braille himself proved its usefulness, despite
the fact,
that as a teacher, he had perhaps a somewhat more privileged platform
to spread his word, the Braille code was not adopted by educational
authorities until
years after his death.

Reading Braille One can easily imagine his frustration with the
inertia of those who should have known better than to hinder progress.

Let this humble memorial to Louis Braille (this is being typed close
to the 190th anniversary of the day he was born) serve us as a
reminder that we should
listen more to our inventors and visionaries. Let us not allow pride,
envy and politics to hamper the efforts of the gifted amongst us. By
allowing ourselves
to open up our minds and hearts, we also make it possible for human
progress to move a step further.

Aria Braille Computer Let us also remind ourselves of the power of
persistence in all human achievement. Alas, Louis Braille died too
early to see the fruits
of his work. But, thanks to others who persevered in his footsteps, he
did succeed in the end. Should he have been simply content in using
his raised dots
for his own enjoyment, or should he and his followers have simply
given up the idea at the first sight of resistance, misunderstanding
and criticism, there
would be no Braille code.
___
Three cheers to Louis Braille, and three cheers to all persistent
inventors amongst us!
____