[AI] Intel to bring Wi-Fi, Wi-Max together for faster mobility

renuka warriar erenuka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:37:48 EDT 2007

The Hindu News Update Service

News Update Service
Friday, September 21, 2007 : 0115 Hrs

Sci. & Tech.
Intel to bring Wi-Fi, Wi-Max together for faster mobility

San Francisco, Sept. 21 (PTI): World's biggest chipmaker Intel Corporation on Thursday said it is developing an integrated module, which would allow quick
data transfer while on the move, with plans to launch it next year.

"We are developing an integrated Wi-Fi/Wi-Max module, a single module that has both capabilities, that will be available for laptops and ultra-mobile devices
next year," Intel's President and CEO Paul Otellini said at the Intel Developer Forum here.

Next year, the company would come out with an optimised Penryn microprocessor which would be fitted with Wi-Fi and Wi-Max.

Otellini said with notebook computers likely to overtake desktops in volume sales in the next couple of years, the new technology would bring in a seamlessly
integrated global network.

"We all expect to be connected everywhere. In fact, it is right from many perspectives... Mobility has a lot of room to improve," he said, adding that the
world needed new devices, new services and new products.

The contractual commitment today suggest that 150 million people will be covered through Wi-Max in 2008, principally in the North America, 750 million by
2010 and 1.3 billion in 2012.

"Interestingly, though, I think the future of ultra mobility is a lot closer than we think," Otellini said.

Talking about India, Otellini said there was no plans to set up a manufacturing plant in India as of now, despite the booming market and introduction of
a new liberalised semiconductor policy.

"There is no change in what has been announced by Intel Board Chairman Craig Barrett during his recent visit to India," he said on the sidelines of the
forum.

During his visit to India earlier this month, Intel's Chairman Barrett had said that the delay on the part of the Indian government in announcing the semi-conductor
policy had forced the chipmaker to decide on setting up facilities in China and Vietnam.

"Barrett was in India recently. He had said about that. We