[AI] Paraplegic becomes stock market winner

vishnu ramchandani vishnuhappy at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 02:27:07 EDT 2007

Paraplegic becomes stock market winner

AFP

Hyderabad: Twenty-eight-year-old paraplegic Burla
Sujata is totally dependent on her two helpers –
except when she sits with her laptop and plays on the
stock market.

Sujata, who used to run a photography studio, became
interested in the stock market after losing use of her
legs in a car accident six years ago when her
car collided with a truck while on her way to a
temple.

Hyderabad girl Burla Sujata trading online using her
laptop. Sujata lost the use of her legs in an accident
“After the accident, there was no life at all for me –
no friends, no people, no supporters,” said Sujata,
who was also abandoned by her fiancé after the
accident.

“When you have everything, everybody is with you. But
when you lose everything, nobody is behind you,” she
said.

An independent job...

But feeling sorry didn’t suit her.

“Because I was physically dependent, I decided to look
for something that I could do independently,”

Sujata told AFP in her apartment in the high-tech
Hyderabad city.

She now has rebuilt her life by investing in the
country’s rocketing stock market, which last year
soared by a record 46.7 percent.

Sujata started out from scratch – learning about
investing in 2004.

“I had no business knowledge,” she said. “I began
studying the stock exchange rules, read financial
books and magazines and watched business television
channels.”

Earns 15 pc of Rs 2-3 cr monthly

She learned fast, and now trades through brokers on
the National Stock Exchange (NSE). She says she
carefully studies “a firm’s fundamentals” – looking
at its financial figures – before investing in its
shares.

She says her monthly trades total around Rs 2-3 crore.
Out of this she takes a monthly income of 10-15 per
cent – more than enough to pay for all her needs.

Sujata now wants to set up her own investment house.

“Two years after the accident, I felt very dependent.
Now I have the feeling I can do everything like
anybody else, like any normal person. I am financially
independent.”

Sujata believes that her experience has made her a
stronger person.

“I was a strong person. After the accident, I became a
much stronger person,” she says.