[AI] Govt plans insurance scheme for disabled

Rajesh Asudani rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Wed Sep 19 01:00:18 EDT 2007

Dear Akhilesh

Don't take my observations otherwise.

I can understand well that they were offering you insurance policy on equal
terms with all others.

This may be because you worked for them.

Or else, it may be the simple case of non-cognizance of blindness, as
happens many a times at the sweet will of the concerned official in many
insurance companies.

What I am asserting is that if blindness is brought on record by declaring
it, they hesitate in giving a policy without any written instruction to that
effect and if they give, they charge extra premium or risk charges.

It happens with all companies from time to time.

To tell you an instance, normally a blind person is not given extra accident
insurance cover which generally is double the usual amount.

However, my brother-in-law, when he succumbed to death in an accident, was
given double ammount without actively taking into account his blindness.

All such discriminations of denial/extra charges on account of
blindness/disability, taking place according to extant instructions or
merely at the arbitrary will of officials, must be remedied.

What do you do otherwise?

Do revert

Regards

Rajesh