[AI] School admissions for the visually challenged.

Pamnani kanchanpamnani at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 03:38:29 EDT 2007

Sudhir,
Rajesh is right on the issue of aided schools.
Apart from the issue of reservation and the applicability of the Ac there is
a practical problem where the family and NGOs have to step in.
The school normally does not have the facility of a teacher of braille nor
do they have special aids and appliances.
There are many in the accessindia family who went to general schools but
were helped by their parents who either went with them to school and copied
from the blackboard for them or arranged for special teachers to assist the
childen.
There is a lot of effort that the family has to put in. Others in the group
can share their experience.
The parents also have to keep in touch with the NGOs to know about the aids
and appliances available and about special teachers for braille, mobility
etc.
NAB Delhi runs such a facility.
In Kerala maybe the child will have to go to different places to get the
extra help.
The Rehabilitation Council of India has some role.
Sarva Shiksha Abhyan contemplates such a situation.
I know it is the State's responsibility but it is the family's primary
responsibility and they cannot shirk it by putting the responsibility on the
State completely.
it is really what the parents can afford and how much time they want to
spend on their child.
If the family is ready to put in the effort then there is no reason why the
child should be refused.
Integration and inclusion are the main reasons and goals still to be
achieved completely.

Kanchan Pamnani
Advocate & Solicitor
9, Suleman Chambers,